2.0 KCC 356 Speedster - www.356speedster.co.za

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Re: 2.0 KCC 356 Porsche Speedster - Steering wheel fab start

Post by flatfourfan »

Started mock up version 1 last weekend.

I used my perfect circle that was included with my router, I had to make a center bearing mount that would allow for a perfect circle, and also allow me to cut it in one go without stopping. I will be doing my final mock up on 12mm HDF and not ply and it pulls too much.

There is a few stages that it has to be cut in order to get the cut right, basically you work your way from the outside in.

I had to stop every now and then to check if everything was cutting well. No need to worry though as with the router, it cuts perfect.

Then I cut the slot in the test blank.

Close up on the slotted section.

I get extra HDF this weekend and then I'm going to make my last blank and take measurements off that before I start on my real wood section. I gave so much space for errors and faults, but by using the router, there was no need to do so.

I'm hoping to have a final blank in place by the end of the weekend is all goes well. I'll do a more in-depth step by step with that one if anyone is interested.

Sambabus
Short Block
What model do you have?: Classic campers

Post by Sambabus »

Bernard, hows ut going? Im not sure if this has been asked already, but how much would you charge for a steering wheel like that
"ALL THAT LIVES IS BORNE TO DIE........NOTHING REALLY MATTERS." Robert Plant-Led Zeppelin.

"Crime is still goverments priority." SA Police spokesperson

RESPECT,EVERYONE SEEMS TO BE LOSING IT!!!
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

who's Bernard?

I've been asked a few times actually, but it was based on various stages of where I was. All depending on how much I could get cnc cut center sections for would be the deciding factor, the center sections would have to be done in two parts and then welded together. Probably in the region of R500-R600 just for that.

The basic wood work isn't that pricey, all depends on the wood used. I would not use plywood, marine plywood or any other type of laminated wood as the edges are thin and the room for error is small. A good quality router will still probably rip up a laminate. Say another R1000 for that stage.

Final finishing would probably be another - R200 (varnish, sealer, sanding sanding and more sanding)

There would be extra's
- Polishing the center section
- Chroming the center section
- Rivets
- Custom horn grill

But say R2000 for a basic one with a polished center and a generic horn grill.

Replicars charge R3500 for theirs at this stage and after seeing one in person, I fail to see where the money is spent. They look cheap, the finishing is of a very low standard, the rivets on some were not evenly spaced and the polishing looks half done. If it was R1500 then it would be okay........but it's over double that.
splitfan
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 56,71,75
South Africa

Post by splitfan »

Looking good there er ... Bernard and by the by Gary seems to also be doing a good Job :wink:
My biggest fear is that my wife sells my cars for what i told her they cost !!
brianj
Single Port
What model do you have?: 67DC 66Fasty, 71West

Post by brianj »

Keep up the good work Bernie
Sambabus
Short Block
What model do you have?: Classic campers

Post by Sambabus »

Whos Bernard I hear you ask,......you are, and I am, we are all Bernards.
"ALL THAT LIVES IS BORNE TO DIE........NOTHING REALLY MATTERS." Robert Plant-Led Zeppelin.

"Crime is still goverments priority." SA Police spokesperson

RESPECT,EVERYONE SEEMS TO BE LOSING IT!!!
splitfan
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by splitfan »

ke ke ke This Bernie thing is'nt going away :lol: :lol: maybe you should consider naming the speedy , afterall with that golf motor that car cant have a girls name........
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

splitfan wrote:ke ke ke This Bernie thing is'nt going away :lol: :lol: maybe you should consider naming the speedy , afterall with that golf motor that car cant have a girls name........
splitfan
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by splitfan »

:lol: :lol: :lol: It kinda fits since you spend every weekend with the speedy anyways !
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Re: 2.0 KCC 356 Porsche Speedster - Porsche 912 gauges fitte

Post by flatfourfan »

Jacques................The trims are off. It turned out to be waaaaay easier than I thought. All you're going to have to do is to trim for the outer diameter of the shiny section and then attach these clips from behind with resin or appoxy.

No need to hack up the whole dash now. On that note I was able to finally fit the 912 gauges to the car and damn I'm chuffed. I started by measuring the pods and making cards that I could measure up on the dash. I was able to actually just sand the holes bigger. I think from start to finish I was done in about 30 minutes. It was damn hot and I smelt sooooooo suspect after that graft.

Rough fitting. I left a bit more of a gap between the gauges than normal.

I have been looking at the 912 gauges for a while now and the bigger size of the tach made me worry that it would look out of place on the dash, but it doesn't, it looks spot on. Best R900 spent. Thanks Anton Dekker.

Next work on the dash will be to remove the spot light switch that I added as I have never liked it as well as relocate the wiper switch and also fit the ignition and move it to the dash so that I can remove the steering column and fit the older style.

Work has also started on the rear tail lights................
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Oooo looks nice Gary. :hangloose:
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

This very bad picture shows the arc that runs from a measurement on the bootlid as to where the correct location to mount the tear drops are. The inner mounting hole of the chrome surround is about halfway through the twin round tail lights. So in other words, the replicars position of the tail lights, is about 3-4cm too low. This weekend will see me filling up the holes in the dash made for the wipers as well as the spot light switch, from the same patch up job will allow me to fill the holes from the tail lights as well as add filler and primer, so that I can fit my teardrops. I’m just waiting on the lenses to arrive from Alan and this job will be a done one.

Yup, there are paint splats on my car, scratches and marks as well as previous repairs. But seeing that I’m a good 4-5 months away from painting Bernie………yes his name is Bernie, I’m not phased.

Next mod will be the dash cap as this has been sitting in storage for ages. I will be making mounting holes for it as well as starting the padding and the eyebrow and dash grab. This car will be 100% finished mods wise before I even think about paint.

The old set-up.

Thanks to numerous chats with Roger, I’ve decided to do the back seat mod which will involve cutting out the floor and fitting the correct style one as well as dropping the head lights and re-doing the indicators up front and also re-do-ing the fuel tank.

Fuel tank?

Yup. I want to move the tank all the way back against the firewall and also have one built that will replicate the original one. This will however involve having the trunk floor cut out and dropped as well allowing for a bigger tank.

I have a pdf file somewhere that I have to find of the measurements for this tank which I have to find. This will also allow me to run the main line and return line for the EFI as well as a universal sender that I can run with the 912 gauge set.

I have to do all of the above in order to move the radiator further back so that I can get my spare wheel up front where it belongs. The radiator set up will end up being hidden 100%.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Re: 2.0 KCC 356 Porsche Speedster - 912 Gauges fitted.

Post by flatfourfan »

acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Gary, Did you get the Lenses yet?
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

nope nothing yet. Do you want to send me the tracking number again, post office says they have no record of that number.

- G