1960 Beetle called Oupa

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
billy-joe
Drip
What model do you have?: Golf mk1

Re: 1960 Beetle called Oupa

Post by billy-joe »

you cant just leave us hanging like that! whats happening with the engine and the final touches? looks really good man.

Kafer74
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Beetles

1960 Beetle called Oupa

Post by Kafer74 »

Oupa's Ticker (final)

I bought a gasket set from Rui to replace all the old gaskets on the engine. I took the engine to the "guru", Werner Alker, to replace the gaskets and assemble the engine. As mentioned in an earlier post, a pressure washer was used to remove most of the dirt and grime. The problem is that we didn't block off all the places where the water could go into the engine properly before we started cleaning the engine. As a result we could see the years worth of rust on the sleeves. When we removed the push rods we saw that they were eaten away by the cam. This meant only one thing, the engine needs to be opened so that we can look at the cam. Just when I thought things couldn't get worse we noticed a crack on one of the sleeves. Luckily we had a replacement sleeve.

At first Werner thought I would need a new set of pistons and sleeves but after he started working on them he mentioned that it might not be necessary after all. He cleaned all the pistons and sleeves and then he honed the sleeves. Werner then opened the engine and as was feared, the lobes on the cam was worn off. Except for the sludge in the engine caused by the water everything else looked ok. Werner said that this was the first time in his life where something that looked like a lost cause when he started on it, turned out to be a success.

I left the engine with Werner and he called me a day later to say that he has finished assembling the engine. I took all the tin pieces, generator, replacement exhaust etc. to him so that it can be fitted.

Fast forward a week later. Today 23 February 2015. Oupa's engine is finished and to crown it all off...Werner started it for me. I took a video of the event, the master has done it again. I am overjoyed ....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Enjoy the Ride

1970 Westie called Ben
vw59beetle
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Enjoyable one

Post by vw59beetle »

Lyk goed sover. Ek sit op die oomblik by Werner en hy geniet die thread . Kan nie wag om die kar klaar te sien.
Kafer74
Oil Cooler

1960 Beetle called Oupa

Post by Kafer74 »

NEW ROOF

I loaded Oupa on a car trailer and took him to someone in our club to install the windows with the trimmings. Apparently it is somewhat of a "craft" to fit the trimmings and I think it is also the reason why a lot of Beetles have window rubbers without trimmings. I will rather not say what I was quoted previously to have this done, which is why it took me so long to finally have the trimmings fitted. Upon my arrival I was told that the balck roof lining I had installed was not done properly and had to be replaced before the windows could be fitted. There was no other option and I gave the go-ahead. This time I settled for a white roof lining instead of the initial black. I must say the final product is awesome.

Now the windows can be fitted and we can start with the interior.

I hope Oupa appreciate all the trouble I am going through...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Enjoy the Ride

1970 Westie called Ben
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

looks good... I am sure he appreciates it all. And will return the favour with many happy miles and many smiles...
Kafer74
Oil Cooler

1960 Beetle called Oupa

Post by Kafer74 »

The windows with trimmings have been fitted.
Enjoy the Ride

1970 Westie called Ben
Kafer74
Oil Cooler

1960 Beetle called Oupa

Post by Kafer74 »

I have fitted some items back in the car. To find the right screws for the sun visor was quite a challenge. I still need to reupholster the interior but due to cash-flow problems I had to refit the original ones. The seats are all worn out and the boards of the side panels are torn. I will be using the originals as templates to cut out new boards and cover them with the old covers.
Enjoy the Ride

1970 Westie called Ben
Kafer74
Oil Cooler

1960 Beetle called Oupa

Post by Kafer74 »

Bowden Sag

Oupa had major clutch shudder when pulling away. According to the experts the flexible tube where the clutch cable runs through is supposed to have a "sag" or "bend" of just the right angle which will prevent the shuddder. For those who are interested, the whole scientific explanation regarding how this work can be found on the following website: http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqbwdn.htm

I removed the rear tire and inspected the tube and found that it was totally straight with not even the slightest sag to be detected. So back to our local car guru, Werner Alker to set the "bowden sag" just right.

At Werner's place he fitted some spacers to create the sag in the tube but there was still a problem adjusting the clutch. Werner then discovered that the gearbox mounting was broken. The shudder was so bad that it must have broken the mounting which now needed to be replaced.

I made an appointment with Werner and two weeks later I arrived at his place and he started on replacing the mounting. It is a huge job because the engine needs to be removed, the gearbox, drive shafts and shocks loosened and then the gearbox needs to shifted back so that there is enough space to remove and replace the mounting. After that the whole process needs to be done but only in reverse.

Oupa is running again and the gearbox selection is as smooth as it can be on a 1960 model Beetle. Now I can focus on the replacing the rear interior panels.
Enjoy the Ride

1970 Westie called Ben
Kafer74
Oil Cooler

1960 Beetle called Oupa

Post by Kafer74 »

NEW SET OF BOOTS

I get a feeling that the tyres on Oupa are as old as the car itself. There are visible cracks in the treads and one of the tyres deflated without any visible cause.

So I bought him a new pair of boots, all shiny and new.

Out with the old and on with the new
Enjoy the Ride

1970 Westie called Ben
lowlight
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: beetle, bus, kg
South Africa

Post by lowlight »

hmmm lyk goed
Some days we are the flies , some days we are the windscreens
Kafer74
Oil Cooler

1960 Beetle called Oupa

Post by Kafer74 »

RUNNER BOARDS

I have replaced Oupa's runner boards but they are not very good quality and they also appear to be shorter than the original runner boards :(
Enjoy the Ride

1970 Westie called Ben
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Loosen the fender bolts near the running boards, ie the 1st 3 or 4 bolts on both front and back, then only tighten the running board bolts after fitting fender washers on both sides of the bolt and nut, then re-tighten the fender bolts.

Should now look right.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Kafer74
Oil Cooler