LOCALLY produced Replica 356A Rubbers and parts

Porsche and replica Porsche posts over here.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

LOCALLY produced Replica 356A Rubbers and parts

Post by flatfourfan »

Well after some talking and doing and doing and doing, myself and Roger (Firebird on the forum) have decide to create a mini business to try and cater for the guys looking to build a high quality replica speedster and also to help the OG owner with some parts that are horribly expensive or are just plain bad quality. We are looking for provide a service where we feel it's currently lacking at the moment in South Africa.

We have done a bit of a soft launch of the products and have decided that we'd make it public on the forum. I was out of action for the last week, so it should of been sooner. Some history first.

I have bought a lot of stuff from the major players in the 356 game both locally and internationally and have felt that on some things we are just getting either bad quality parts or they are priced so far off the mark that at the end of the day a set of rubbers for a set of teardrops can run into R800 once you've added shipping and duties on it. Many of the rubbers have been sitting on a shelf for ages and so when they arrive, they are usually already breaking down.

Price wise? Well currently we're under-cutting the international prices for reproduction parts by about 1/3 and once we have streamlined the production, we'll be able to sell certain items way cheaper than our international/ national competition, in some cases 1/3 of the price.

So who are we? Well we're both speedster nutters albeit on totally different levels, who both own locally made speedsters, and are both a bit let down on the overall fit and finish of the locally made cars. The devil with these cars is the detail, while I couldn't be phased about running gear, engine and transmission on mine, we both however share the obsession with getting the exterior of these cars as close as possible to the real thing.

I have always been at awe of Firebird's ability to make his own parts, I was first introduced to his handiwork through IMPI and also got to quickly see that he was light years ahead in making his own parts that were almost perfect replca's on the OEM Porsche stuff. The compound being used is locally sourced from a local supplier and is suited for exterior outdoor use.

How many times have you seen a nice speedster with great paint, but when you see the back, the guy has put bakkie tail lights or landrover defender indicator lights on the front? While you can get used tear drops locally, the 2 parts that almost always seem to be shot to poo are the rubbers as well as the lenses.

The lenses are on the wishlist and are under development and both myself and Firebird will be doing the rounds with a few demo sets first, but we're confident that we'll be able to provide these in the near future, but we have decided to sell the rubber kits to the locals first.

One thing that we both have been pushing for is the front indicator assembly. This is feel is a real let down on the local cars as the raised section on the body is far from correct and straight away you can see that the grills, assembly's and lenses just look wrong. To change this to the correct style will mean closing up the original holes and getting rid of the raised section, but it's all do-able and for the DIY minded, a Saterday morning job.

I will be fitting a set to the front of my car in the upcoming weeks and I can straight away say that this is going to be a huge improvement on the locally supplied stuff.

Compared to what is currently on the locally produced cars. The original style ones are slimmer, cleaner and way more precise. The local stuff is thick and the casting is shoddy as it's probably been cast about 4 kazillion times and made from copies, from copies, from copies. You get my drift.

Also as a part of this kit is the lenses. SO yeah you can see why initially we are very excited. These are pretty much there with regards to shape, size and will fit with the rubbers, trim and bezel. More information will follow on that in the future as we get further along with development.

So we are still developing the kits and are making changes as we go along to get them as close as possible to the real thing, next change will be to the back of the rubber and won't even be seen, but we want to get it as right as possible. We both stand behind what we're doing here and believe that we both can add something to the local community. While many people won't go to the lengths that we've gone to get the exterior/ interior details of the car as close as possible to the real thing, we still feel that we can bring something to the party for everyone who's into bath-tubs and coupe's.

I will be adding a price list next week as well as more detailed images. All initial kits that have been made have pretty much all been sold, so there may be a bit of a delay with supplying new kits, but I can take orders and will keep you updated. Any questions, drop me a line directly oh7221379oh4 or email me at garykbloom(at)gmail.com
Last edited by flatfourfan on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bossie2004
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: '74 Volla

Re: LOCALLY produced Replica 356 Rubbers and parts

Post by Bossie2004 »

Gary, please add me to the list when you distribute news on the Speedster R&D products, I am with you on the "getting it right"! My car is available for testing etc. of these products..

Is there not perhaps a way that we can get the "FACEBOOK LIKE" button on theforum, thereby getting notices when you've updated this page? That will ease up the comms BEEG time?
- Marius V
Speedster Replica
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Bossie2004 wrote: Is there not perhaps a way that we can get the "FACEBOOK LIKE" button on theforum, thereby getting notices when you've updated this page? That will ease up the comms BEEG time?
Already done way back in 2005

if you reply to a topic you are automatically subscribed to the topic. Unless you changed this in your settings.
You will then get email updates if another post has been made... kinda like the email you'll get because I made this post.

If you really want to subscribe without adding a post, you can scroll right to the bottom of the page and click on the "subscribe topic" button
vw59beetle
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Enjoyable one

Post by vw59beetle »

Good luck Gary. I like to support a local business with some heart in what they do. Can not wait to see your products.

Wernher
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Cheers guys

Wernher, will make a plan this week, promise, this weekend was the first one where I was back on my feet. I've sold all the kits that we initially made with the exception of a few lose rubbers and Wernher's kits. So I'd say that we're off to a good start.

Bossie: will do bud, I'm replying to your email as we speak.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

A teaser...........

jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

Not a Speedster owner but this is music to my ears, I wish you both well on this exciting venture (and hope that it will grow and grow and grow to include parts from other aircooleds, when can I send my bus parts wishlist :twisted: ?)

Seriously, getting a quality item, even after paying top dollar (or Euro, etc), is just about impossible. Getting a 2nd hand original part in fair condition seems to be a much better option than importing the cr*p quality parts out there. These items are just "churned out" and the folk who manufacture the stuff don't seem to give a hoot on the quality, dimensions, finish, etc.
Shipping costs are a real killer - good luck man :hangloose:
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

This is an excellent initiative! Good luck and I wish you the greatest success Gary and Firebird. :hangloose:
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Sambabus
Short Block
What model do you have?: Classic campers

Post by Sambabus »

Godspeed my good man
"ALL THAT LIVES IS BORNE TO DIE........NOTHING REALLY MATTERS." Robert Plant-Led Zeppelin.

"Crime is still goverments priority." SA Police spokesperson

RESPECT,EVERYONE SEEMS TO BE LOSING IT!!!
Webster
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Karmann Ghias

Post by Webster »

Hi Flatfour,
Just browsing your locally made parts for a 356 entry a while back. Do you by any chance have/make the PORSCHE script that fits below the engine compartment lid on a 356C?
Lost mine while travelling through Kruger a few days ago. BTW whilst there saw several Beetles and a Kombi near Sitara camp - anyone know who they were?
Webster
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Hey Webster

Sorry man, but we're pretty much only going to be doing A stuff and some stuff that is interchangeable with B. No C I'm afraid.

Cheers

- G
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

Webster wrote:Lost mine while travelling through Kruger a few days ago. BTW whilst there saw several Beetles and a Kombi near Sitara camp - anyone know who they were?
Webster
Jacaranda Beelte Club - my parents got them in Letaba last week
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Re: LOCALLY produced Replica 356A Rubbers and parts

Post by acpaterson »

Flatfour, LOVE your work.. (Excuse the pun..) ;-)

I'm currently wanting to get myself a speedster, and I'm sure I'll be in contact for some parts. I'm currently looking for a car, or, alternatively, a local Buggy with the correct wheelbase, and then to purchase a body and send it down here to build. Can I ask if you get 5 minutes spare, please measure your speedster axle to axle, so I can get an idea of the correct Wheelbase requirements.. From there, I'll be able to feel the market and go and look at some possible donors.

But I'll def be in contact re: rubbers, grills etc, your work looks awesome.. And thanks for your contribution here, very inspiring..

cheers

Alan
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Hey Alan

I recently helped someone find a speedster and ended up having to pick it up from East London of all places. Total fluke that we heard about it in the first place and yup, they are becoming a bit harder to find now as guys are snapping them up. It seems that I’m only going to be able to get back into full swing on mine in the new year as I just have too many other projects that all need working on.

I think that IMPI gave you the measurements of the wheelbase if you want to go that route, unfortunately, what he said about the buggy cut and shut jobs is pretty much spot on as guy built those things on a serious budget back in the day and also they were cut in different places, different sizes and also different ways.

Cheers for the good words, I just wish that I had more time to get stuff done, but there is light at the end of the tunnel and I get to drive my car in her current state whenever I want to.
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

Congratulations well done this is exactly how many Successful business start through Passion
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site