My 356. Now sold.

Porsche and replica Porsche posts over here.
eahmod
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 1973

Re: My 356 Speedster - Yet un-named..

Post by eahmod »

Great looking car, make me want to own one too :mrgreen: , good luck and keep the pics rolling :D .

acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Thanks all, jaa, you know it's been a LONG time since I've been this excited about a car. Usually would get excited about an old Motorbike etc..
I think that Pic is a year old, the car's got a fair amoutn of fixing up to do from what I can see from the latest pics, but it's mostly simple DIY stuff.. So yep, will be posting Pics of the transformation for sure. Already "met" a bunch of helpful folk on here, so, awesome Forum as well.. I'll hopefully contribute some worth down the line, one way or another..

Cheers

regards

Alan
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by flatfourfan »

Ahhhhhh, Alan, glad to hear that you're all over that one. It looks a million times better without the decals on the side. My advise is to roll it like it is for a while after small changes. Keeping a speedster rolling for as long as possible does wonders for morale.

Doubt that you'll need IDA's, 36DRLA's are a good carb that looks impressive in an engine bay, nice airfilters on them and they'll sure fill it up.

I see what you mean about the shiny roof, that's an easy fix. I've decided to go for tan on mine and my guy can easily replicate mine (with a few mods to make it look better). So for him to do it again and again shouldn't be a problem.

Awesome ride, if you need anything else, you have my details.

- G
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

You sir, are a gentleman.. thanks for your words of wisdom on this.. MUCH appreciated..
Please can you nail down the roof thing? get a firm quote etc? I'm def going to want one done in a rough proper canvas type finish.. Hope we're talking the same thing.

Will email you soon.

regards

Alan
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Hell no, I don't have wisdom, I chucked a waterpumperr in the back of mine and sold out according to the masses, what do I know.........lol.

There are a few local places that make convertible tops,

Option 1 could be replicated anywhere in SA by a half decent shop, but it doesn’t look right, it looks like a scout tent that’s been bodged on top of a carr and you can get one done for about R1000, it’s nothing special though and honestly looks like crap.

Option 2 is the route that I’m going. The shop in question, makes replacement tops for high end cars. They’re using my existing top as a template with some changes, (smaller rear window). Double layer lip at the back to hide the mounting points and to give it a clean finish as well as a proper lined section on the inside. This is about R2500 –R3000 and is honestly the only way to go. The downside with this is that you need a proper scissor roof to get this to work. Myself and firebird have already got the ball rolling and I’m trying to get a working prototype up and running in the December holidays. Once that’s been done, I can cut and trim my existing roof and frame to get something that fits and looks the melons.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Ok, he arrived last night, impressive service from PBTransport, 24 hours JHB to Cape Town.. Had some nice Company on the roadtrip down..

Careful!!!!!

So last night, I spent a couple of hours in the garage.. Pulled the roof off, and pulled out the loose seats, replaced all the mounting bolts and nuts with proper ones and put the seats back. At least they're still firm and not cracked or broken.

Shame, as pretty as he looks, he's actually been terribly neglected over the years.. I don't understand how people can let something of such beauty just corrode away and not do regular maintenance.

Tonight, pulled out the "swollen" leaking battery, and cleaned up the battery area from old Acid and other muddy gunk.. Here are some closeups of the radical deterioration on this guy. :(

Mmmm...

Sooo, off to collect a pair of Weber 34's and a 009 Disti tomorrow from Grand Slam, and need to find a beetle windscreen wiper. Need to try get him through Roadworthy asap..
Once thats done, I can then get busy. First job I'm stripping out the interior, removing all carpeting etc, all glue off the bodywork etc, and then stripping all trip and bits off the body. Have a chap who can assist with re-glassing the dashboard closed, As I'll put the clocks back in properly, and ONLY the clocks needed.. So no rubbish holes everywhere.. Body will be sanded down, repairs, cracks and chips primered, and then complete respray dark red (It doesn't show it well in this light, but it's like Blood red, not as light or orangy as it looks here..

Then I'll get it home, and start with re-doing interior and putting the lights etc back. Am hopefully getting a replacement Rubber Set from Flatfour, and need to clean the old headlights and replace all bulbs. The sort out Indicators etc.. Still wondering on that. Personally I think he's going to fail Roadworthy as it stands now.. So must get that done soonest. even if I put trailer lights on the rear as a "temp" solution. 8)

I'm going Tan interior, working on finding an upholsterer for the seats, which I'd like to build up a little, improve their comfort, Iw ant to try fit Tan or Beige carpets on the sidewalls, with black rubber mats, like this. Also note the clean dash, with correct "eyebrow". Tan interior.

And floor mats like this.

So, the project has begun.. My work is cut out for me.. Let's see how I get along..
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Re: My 356 Speedster - Arrived. and off we go...

Post by Blitzkrieg »

just paint those tail lights with translucent Tamiya red paint for now.... will make it look good enough to pass roadworthy
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
riaanj
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: None ATM, oneday...

Post by riaanj »

Blitzkrieg wrote:just paint those tail lights with translucent Tamiya red paint for now.... will make it look good enough to pass roadworthy
It works, I've done it before..
Just keep on BUGGIN'
Protect the endangered, say NO to exporting our AirCooled spares & cars..

T6 Ranger 2.2TDCi D/Cab
307E Anglia panel-van
Honda CBR600RR
Honda CBR600F4
Honda CBR1100XX SuperBlackbird
Bossie2004
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: '74 Volla

Post by Bossie2004 »

flatfourfan wrote:Option 2 is the route that I’m going. The shop in question, makes replacement tops for high end cars. They’re using my existing top as a template with some changes, (smaller rear window). Double layer lip at the back to hide the mounting points and to give it a clean finish as well as a proper lined section on the inside. This is about R2500 –R3000 and is honestly the only way to go. The downside with this is that you need a proper scissor roof to get this to work. Myself and firebird have already got the ball rolling and I’m trying to get a working prototype up and running in the December holidays. Once that’s been done, I can cut and trim my existing roof and frame to get something that fits and looks the melons.
Gary, please keep me posted on the Roof Option 2, my Speedster is standing too much to my liking due to the lack of Roof.

cheers.
marius.
- Marius V
Speedster Replica
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

Hy congratulations on the new Toy very nice :hangloose:
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

hey pics don't show............
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

hey, pics DO show.

Good stuff man, she'll be sorted in no time. He's mounted the lens trims arse about. The part number should be at the bottom. This that the trims are too far gone to blast and rechrome?

I'll send you off an email with some ideas that you should consider.

g
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Bossie2004 wrote:
flatfourfan wrote:
Gary, please keep me posted on the Roof Option 2, my Speedster is standing too much to my liking due to the lack of Roof.

cheers.
marius.
Will do man, we have a start day and will keep you guys updated in my thread on how we're doing.

- G
vw59beetle
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Enjoyable one

Post by vw59beetle »

Congratulations. The Speedster has always been the most beautiful car in my eyes. Enjoy every second in it.

Wernher
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Thanks guys,
well had a big end of year function Saturday, so didn't get much done, attacked it this morning.. mainly electrics and electric bits, to be sure it's all good for Roadworthy. Hooter was a pathetic excuse, and wired to a bloody button on the dash.. :roll: Bought a pair of Fiam's, and mounted, and wired them in this morning.. Then discovered the wiper blade is gone behind the wheel, so spent a couple of hours trying to Mcguiver a new blade. Eventually got something that could be reliable enough, so we'll see.

Then attacked the lighting.. also tracing here and there after "looking" at the fuses, which showed ok, but I couldn't get brights to come on once the relay latched.. bloody fuse was stuffed.. so new ones in, and new 3 way light plugs soldered in. Also painted the inside aluminium part of the lights which were looking sad.. Lights look great now.. Also tied up all wiring and confirmed all is working.. So far so good.

So this week, try one or two places to get a Beetle Wiper arm.. modify some short blades so they don't catch the window frame, and then I might attempt a roadworthy. Hoping to get that done, as I still haven't even driven the thing round the block yet.. So, want to get it done soonest.

Oh, PS. Outsurance came back to me, based on a 2013 Speedster pricing courtesy of the guys in JHB, and fully comprehensive, R 500 something a month!!! Based on a replacement of 100 K.. SO will be calling that broker from Mutual and Federal next week, and lets see what he says.

Cheers

Alan