Type 4 heads

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Type 4 heads

Post by Blitzkrieg »

I am now officially Type 4 crazy!!!

In the coming months I hope to do a Type 4 build up, I have already located a good 71mm bottom end and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

With a good stroke of luck, someone has offered me a set of bare 2,0 litre Squareport heads, these have led a hard life and are cracked in the combustion chamber region.However, the clincher is the price:R100-00 each....

1. Should I buy these heads?

2. Is it possible to weld them up? Who can weld them up here in Pretoria?

These heads have lead a hard life they have about 100 000k on them. Suprisingly, they didn't ever drop the seats. I was thinking about having them welded up, then having the combustion chamber ceramic coated by Sartor Brothers for withstanding the heat better...
After that, having the heads machined to take 41x36 valves and hopefully Scat valve seats from the U.S. The valves would be custom made in stainless steel by Sportflo....

It's going to be a long term project and I would like to do everything right the first time round, no matter how long it takes me to save for the relevant bits and pieces....

Comments appreciated...

IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

Buy the book How to rebuild your vw Engine this will help a lot in identifying the good from the bad
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

Cracked heads = big repair costs. To weld up the heads means the seats will need to come out to get the job done properly, one positive thing is that you can now get bigger valves fitted, it is not cheap to redo a set of heads completely, rather look for a set with no cracks.
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Consider looking for a good pair of 1800 heads.They have bigger valves (41inlet,34 exhaust) than 2 litre ones (39in, 33exh).
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

I'm going to be on the hunt for a good set of matching heads soon, they can be bare but they mustn't be cracked, planning a 2140 conversion...very long term project remember....
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted: