SKYE - '68 Baywindow - on the ROAD AGAIN!

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Re: SKYE - '68 Baywindow

Post by acpaterson »

Looks good buddy. :hangloose:

Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '76 BRAZILIA '78 BAY
Facebook: yes

Post by Cyndi Kritzinger »

I'M SUITABLY IMPRESSED.
I WOULD LOVE A COPY OF YOUR DRAWING.
I USED HERMAN'S HINGES ON A BUS I AM CURRENTLY WORKING ON AND THEY WORKED A TREAT BUT I'M KEEN TO TRY YOUR EFFORT AS WELL.
TA.
MARK
Bossie2004
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: '74 Volla

Post by Bossie2004 »

Tx Alan & Mark,

Its been a journey already, but alas the end is in sight (short term goal in any case), then it is the paint & bodywork to be done.

Seeing that I'm not able to upload PDF, I've broken it into three Images:

Front View:
R&R Bed_Dimensions_Front.JPG
Side View:
R&R Bed_Dimensions_Side.JPG
Top View:
R&R Bed_Dimensions_Top.JPG
I've used 25 x 50 x 2mm rectangular tubing, but that is a wee bit of an OVERKILL - I would revert back to a 38 x 19 x 2mm next time round. I wanted to ensure that it is sturdy enough, which it MOST DEFINITELY IS, but it becomes heavy - not necessarily a bad thing as Gravity would assist in keeping it in place now!!! HEHE. My intention is to use the rear seat clamps to firm it down to the floor. Also still want to add Safety/Seat Belts (Lap Belts) onto the frame (bottom/support section - not sliding top) to keep the kids off the windscreen when braking!

I've also decided to make the back part square (1470 x 315mm) instead of the "tapered section" on the drawing as the T2 does not need to go taper, there is ample space for a square section to attach to the "firewall". I've also the welded bolts onto the SLIDING FRAME at the back that then bolts onto the SUPPORT / BASE to assist with the installation in the bus. So if there aint another pair of hands to assist I'll be able to take apart / install on my own... guess when age kicks in that frame is just gonna stay in the bus!

In order to prevent the SLIDING TOP from unintentional movement I've made two "brackets" that is welded on the SEAT section front end, that hooks in behind the SUPPORT frame, then to have double safety I've drilled holes into the bottom and welded two bolts in there to ensure the SEAT needs to be lifted in order to slide forward. I've welded two Angle Irons (onto the SUPPORT frame at the front) to guide this sliding to ensure all comes forward in a straight line.
Slide & Safety Catch.jpg
CRUCIAL MOD was to put a mechanism onto the SLIDING FRAME (between the SEAT and the BACKREST sections) to support it and prevent it from folding downwards when weight is put on the bed. Simple Solution was a "home made" sliding lock" with a roundbar that stabilises and prevents the downward movement - this due to the hinges placed at the top.
Latch mechanism.jpg
I'm covering the sliding frame with 9mm Plywood (needed 2 sheets from Builders with quite some offcuts - but that will come in handy elsewhere in the bus); then on top of the plywood I've got "CHIPFOAM" 70mm with a 30mm layer of High Density Foam - this was to get the "cushioning/mattress" to 100mm with still a firm base to sleep LEKKE on it - I've seen a photo of a Splitty with another design and 150/200mm HD Foam - with that combo I wont need a Seatbelt as I'd be WEDGED IN between seat and roof!!!
Chipfoam.JPG
So foam was GENKEM'ed onto the plywood last night, and my daughter and I tested it and it was really comfortable....will see how we feel after the first 8hour testdrive of the bed.

Hope this helps, if there are questions, GOOI!!!

Cheers,
Marius.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Marius V
Speedster Replica
Bossie2004
Oil Stain

Post by Bossie2004 »

...and so it is already a week after I've booked SKYE in at the local Brake & Clutch, they've sent the Mastercylinder to an Engineering works to get it "Re-Sleeved", and have still not receive it back!!! Current estimate is to get it back on Monday, refit it and bleed the system, then hopefully I get the Bus back on Tuesday - sufficient time for finals on roadworthy and Police-Clearance and License disc issued in time to hit the JBC Pothole run on Thursday Morning!!! LOOSING MY FARKING SENSE OF HUMOUR!!! But this is the Southern most point of the "FOKOL Service Continent"!! So guess I shall have to "grin & bear it" to next week and hope & pray all goes well! If all else fails, get the Roadworthy and sort out the rest of the paperwork upon return from the roadtrip - what do you guys reckon??? Think the spietkops will pull over one of the convoy if there 20 Vollas in a row???
- Marius V
Speedster Replica
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Chillax, it'll all go fine.. If you don't get licenced etc, just take it all with you in an envelope in case you do get stopped. Explain the situation and should be fine.
Bossie2004
Oil Stain

Post by Bossie2004 »

So yesterday I took Skye back for Roadworthy (after the Master Cylinder was re-sleeved), quick stop at the Tyre Shop to ensure wheel alignment is 110% (bus kept pulling left) - ended up that the Left front wheel sat at ~1bar, so a quick pump and swap left front and right front wheels, and the bus goes straight like an arrow. Off the Dekra AGAIN, and the dude drove the bus through their test bay, parked it in front and gave it the ALL CLEAR! From there it was off the get the Police Clearance on the engine, and by 11:26 I stood with the License Disk in hand - all done and passed!!! WHOOOP-Whoop!!! ROADTRIP, here we come!
Skye Roadtrip.jpg
FEEDBACK on the R&R BED: I would have to drop the bottom frame by about 50mm due to the top of the Backrest catching on the window frames of the bus (and me rubbing my head against the roof liner)!
Skye Bank.jpg
Even though I've measured and tested when the frame was welded up, the cushioning and wooden base just adds that little too much - that and the fact that the top half of the bus goes taper!!! But that mod will have to be done when we return from the roadtrip!
Skye Bank_2.jpg
So tonights' job is to replace the FUEL LINES in the engine bay, then we're good to go!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Marius V
Speedster Replica
Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '76 BRAZILIA '78 BAY
Facebook: yes

Post by Cyndi Kritzinger »

THANKS FOR THE 'HEADS UP' MARIUS, AND WELL DONE ON GETTING THE BUS READY ON TIME!
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Told you it would come together.. these things happen dude..
Skye's looking the bomb dude.. :hangloose:
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

Excellent man, congrats on roadworthy - safe travels - dont forget the camera :hangloose:
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
Bossie2004
Oil Stain

Post by Bossie2004 »

Thanx Lads, "in the Nick of time" got new meaning in my life...I like to get it done well in time, so the stretchhhh on the stomach was not all that Lekka, but now its great to be in the starting blocks, rearing to go...I'll post photos as we go along..
Skye Pothole Map.jpeg
Got the Roadmap on the window for the Pitstops if someone gets lost...HEHE
- Marius V
Speedster Replica
JC Rousseau
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: 69,75split,75,79scab

Post by JC Rousseau »

Bus is cumming along nice enjoy the trip :hangloose:
61 Beetle aka klapperkiste
68 Squareback viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34408
69 Kombi
72 Crew cab viewtopic.php?f=23&t=32846&hilit=1972+custom
75 Fleetline panel viewtopic.php?f=23&t=32485&p=309053#p309053
79 Single cab
Bossie2004
Oil Stain

Post by Bossie2004 »

Having the engine seize/frozen/give-up on me on the POTHOLE run, I left it on Gunther's farm about 25km outside of Warmbad, upon return home I picked up an "A-Frame" from Werner Alker (JBC Club President) and went to fetch my bus. It was such an easy job to pull it back home 125 odd km! You remove the front bumper and use the two front brackets to connect the A-Frame - so those 4 bolts keeps the bus to the A-Frame. I comfortably did 110km/h all the way home with NO glitches whatsoever!!!
Skye on tow2.jpg
Skye on tow3.jpg
So my plans are to make a "bracket" that I can bolt onto my Beetle A-frame (should be a 50mm thick walled pipe that clamps in (inplace of the beetle front beam) with two proper angle iron arms that bolts onto the Kombi's bumper bracket. In doing this I can tow the Speedster, Beetle and Kombi all with the same frame!

The other "to be made" is the Tow-Lights - Werners one is made of LED lights (Brake/Park/Indicator) mounted to what seems to be 150mm cable trunking (made of plastic about 10mm thick) (see photo 2 in the rear window) with a 9m 7core cable! I've hooked this with them Bicycle Bungi cords with the wire hooks onto the rear door hinge mechanism.

So some DIY to come! This with the engine rebuild offcourse!
- Marius V
Speedster Replica
Bossie2004
Oil Stain

Post by Bossie2004 »

Started with the disassembling of the engine down to Sub-Assembly in time for coming Friday night when we will be having a "Post-Mortem" at the Jacaranda Beetle Club, where the Elders will try to determine the reason for the failure, and who the culprit was...lots of speculation and guesswork due to having the oil sitting to about 4mm below the top line on the dipstick, how does it then seize to the point where the crank doesn't bulge a mm?!? Is it Main Bearing on No 4; is there an oil port blocked; was the engine running lean.....hopefully Friday night we shall know.
Stripped SA.jpg
Have to still remove the heads, which should start giving some indication of what went wrong (I hope). Flabbergasted by the fact that there was NO SMOKE CLOUD, NO LOUD BANG/SHOT, NO OIL FLOODING OUT, and NOTHING SHOT through the body panels!!!

As I was stripping all the peripherals off the block it seemed to me whoever built the engine (which was apparently done just a wee while before I bought the bus at the end of January '15) seems to have used Natures Torque Wrench....them ten fingers!!! Most of the nuts holding down the petrol pump, Genny pedestal etc was just about hand-tightened - put the ring-flat on it, put force to it, and hit the skin off the knuckles before even realising that no force is required! In hindsight I realise that it would have been a great idea to systematically check EVERYTHING, but time was not on my side, and with the engine swinging when you turn the key, no smoke, no oil leak,,,,who would've fiddled with the motor...especially with the previous owners' Name still clearly visibly on the Engine Halves in perfect WHITE TIPEX Pen - it didn't seem that the motor has reach proper running temperature as the Tipex has not even discoloured!!!
Engine.jpg
Engine 2.jpg
Aint that nice and visible, but the YELLOW Circles indicates the casing halves markings.

I'll keep you all posted on the findings of the "POST-MORTEM" and the rebuild progress. But for now, SKYE will stand with ass in the air until the horses are back in the casing!
- Marius V
Speedster Replica
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Wait with baited breath.. maybe it's not major.. But it gives you the chance to brighten up the engine.. spray tinware, parts and do a general best effort cleanup buddy.
Bossie2004
Oil Stain

Post by Bossie2004 »

Stripped the heads, flywheel assy and pulley off last night, showing the following:

Number 1 & 2:
H 1&2.jpg
P&S 1&2.jpg
Something is not well this side of the woods, seems like a bit of water caused some rust here, but what are them White Spots on the Heads?
Rockers 1&2.jpg

Number 3 & 4:
H 3&4.jpg
P&S 3&4.jpg
This side looks lekka, no obvious signs for the untrained eye!!!

Main Oil Seal all looks well:
MOS.jpg
and then the markings on the Engine Halves that, in my opinion, shows that the engine was recently rebuilt:
Casing Front.jpg
So what do you guys think, other than waiting for Friday when the casing gets stripped, what can I do in the meantime to ascertain what went wrong - what are your predictions?

Cheers,
Marius.
- Marius V
Speedster Replica