1968 VW Beetle Rebuild - Rusty

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Cedric Snr
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Any

Re: 1968 VW Beetle Rebuild - Rusty

Post by Cedric Snr »

Howzit Gents

Not a lot of progress and no pictures to report from last weekends work (I was lazy and took my planes out to the airfield). :lol:

My son did continue with the lowering of the front suspension alas its not finished yet but another 2 hours next weekend should do the trick.

This "rest" weekend means we will be a week later in meeting our deadline, but then what's a week between friends.

Cheers

Cedric Strydom
076315713four
cedric.strydom@live.co.za
Cedric Snr
Oil Leak

Post by Cedric Snr »

Howzit Gents

Update time, we skipped a week the weekend of the 9th due to my son playing netball and I had some flying commitments :TIC: :lol:

But alas we had a lot of progress this past weekend (although it didn't feel like it at the time) UNFORTUNATLY NO PICTURES

here goes

1. We removed and cleaned the fuel tank and replaced the fuel line front to back. there was still some 5year old fuel left in there .. do fuel mature with age ? :TIC:
2. Replaced some brake lines and flushed and bled the brake system. (the front ones still left to do).
3. Continued with the lowering of the front suspension and then BAM !!! we hit a snag :x , the two lower torsion arm bearings had collapsed and I was JUST JUST to late to get to Volkspares on time so this will have to wait till next weekend :cry: :?
4. Started cleaning all the tins.
5. On Sunday - we cleaned and painted the subassembly and the rest of the tins and stuff.
6. After lunch (Sunday lunch ... very difficult to motivate oneself to get back to work after Sunday lunch :( ) the paint was dry and we started to reassemble the engine when BAM !!! we hit a snag :x , the "new" alternator (we are converting from Gen to Alt) didn't fit onto the supplied pedestal (Charles gave me the wrong one) :zhelp: if someone has the correct one for me please give me a call.
7. We also did a complete service on the engine (we had it out so) and installed the "new" electronic ignition system (actually its second hand but new to this engine) when BAM !!! we hit a snag :x , I was told the old router will fit on the new distributer that turned out to be an old wife's tale.

So although we did a lot nothing got done and we were pretty down in the dumps Sunday afternoon since we were hopping we would have had Rusty back on its feet (wheels) and the engine back in. :cry: :? :shock:

And so the plan for next weekend will now involve a visit to Volkspare and more funds pilfered from the piggy bank to get bearings and router and then try to get the front suspension done, front brakes primed and set, get the wheels back on (we cant wait to do this) and get the engine installed .... so please hold thumbs for us. :mrgreen:
Cedric Strydom
076315713four
GERHARD73
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 1974 1600 BEETLE

Post by GERHARD73 »

You can only proof progress with photographic evidence. :TIC:
:hangloose: WILL WE EVER KILL THE BUG?!?!?!?!? :hangloose:
1974 BEETLE 1600
VW BEACH BUGGY
2010 2.0 TDI VW KOMBI
2010 1.6 TDI VW POLO 6
Cedric Snr
Oil Leak

Post by Cedric Snr »

:lol: Promise to do better next time. :mrgreen:
Cedric Strydom
076315713four
Cedric Snr
Oil Leak

Post by Cedric Snr »

Morning Guys

Just a quick update, the progress is going slower that what we initially hoped but its going. after 2 weeks of doing nothing and finding a "new" pedestal for the alternator we managed to get the engine completely assembled and she looks GOOOOOD. :lol:

Note: the electronic ignition and alternator upgrades
IMG-20160731-WA0010.jpeg
IMG-20160731-WA0012.jpeg
What it looked like before
20160616_150914.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cedric Strydom
076315713four
Cedric Snr
Oil Leak

Post by Cedric Snr »

Howzit Gents

Rusty is back on his own feet (wheels)

we used yesterday to make up for some lost time so after we did the voting thing spend the rest of the day completing the front suspension, bled and adjusted the brakes.

We're thinking of dropping the front a little bit more by putting two shorter shocks in front should give us another 30mm

Two Happy Campers having a well deserved cold one :drunks:
20160803_132811.jpg
Rusty looking pretty good after a quick wash
20160803_132958.jpg
IMG-20160804-WA0006.jpg
Not long to go now. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cedric Strydom
076315713four