Fuel injection rebuild

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
Flag: South Africa

Re: Fuel injection rebuild

Post by Tony Z » Wed May 15, 2019 8:05 am

either 1.25 or 1.35 is a great DH to have.
I wouldnt worry about the difference but if it makes you sleep better then go for it. Nothing wrong.
I've got 1.38mm on my bus.

The #3 running hotter is mainly on the non-doghouse engines. It does run a little hotter than #4 but not much compares to the old inferior cooling system. Lets just say that #3 will run about as hot as #2, which runs hotter than #1 (which runs about the same temp as #4).
The non-doghouse engines even came with a retarded timing built into the dizzy for #3, but this was done away with when VW moved to the doghouse shroud.

Simmy
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 1978 Beetle

Post by Simmy » Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 am

Thanks for the explanation. I always thought it was the diversion of cooling air to the oil cooler which left cylinder 3 with less airflow and pressure. But the internal oil cooler makes much more sense now.

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea

Post by Tony Z » Wed May 15, 2019 7:48 pm

the early cooler had the air blow over the cooler and then onto the 3&4 cylinders, with #3 getting less air.
The dog house takes air out of the shroud at the fan and the rest goes over the cylinders fairly evenly.

Simmy
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 1978 Beetle

Post by Simmy » Wed May 22, 2019 8:07 am

Finished refurbing the thermostat and it's flaps. After shiming and bushing the linkage, I was actually happy with how it worked and left the flap bushes alone, other than applying some copper compound to help it. Just need to make up the coupling between rod and thermostat, and then we are good to go!

Washers and spacers for the linkage with new e-clips. Bushes were made up from some copper sheet.

Bushes in place

All assembled. Added some extra holes for the return spring, as I felt it may be over-tensioned.