Beetle Seat belts

Ask and give advice here
jacquesbotha
Drip
What model do you have?: 1973 Beetle 1600
South Africa

Beetle Seat belts

Post by jacquesbotha »

So this is my thinking. The standard mounting points for seatbelts on a Beetle is one at top of pillar, one at bottom of pillar, and one for the stalk on the tunnel. Now i see people selling belts for Beetles with the adapter, with two mountings at the bottom, and one on top. Lets forget about the stalk on the tunnel for the moment. Would it then not be possible to mount the inertia unit at the bottom, the static point at the top, and remove the piece that would then normally be mounted at the top, the part where the belt slides through, all together? Or am I missing something here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Re: Beetle Seat belts

Post by retrovan »

This would give you a two point seat belt with out the lap Part to stop you sliding into the footwell.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Haans
Camshaft
What model do you have?: 1960 ghia
South Africa

Post by Haans »

Daa hetjy dit,.......yti pert se bek !
Haans
jacquesbotha
Drip
What model do you have?: 1973 Beetle 1600
South Africa

Post by jacquesbotha »

Well, you still have the clip, going into the stalk, giving you three-point harness and the desired triangle. Only problem I can see is the angle at which the belt comes out of the inertia unit, over your lap. Maybe I just answered my own question :D
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Trying to work out what you are saying, the normal way to mount the belt is with the reel at the bottom of the pillar,

the sliding point as marked by you on the top of the pillar, the fixed end next to the seat (door side), and the buckle stalk on the center tunnel.

Your inertia reel needs to be upright at all time to work correct so would need a bracket to hold it upright or as normal mounter on the bottom of the "B" pillar.,

but if you use two points it will be unsafe, if you use 3 points you may as well fit it the way its been designed.

If how ever your belts are too short then you can fit cable extenders to your non reel points to make it fit.

Have done this on my Kombi's and would have to do it to the Hahn as well as it has no pillar fix point.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc