Type 4 buggy motor

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
AirPower
Clutch
What model do you have?: 2008 Buggy

Type 4 buggy motor

Post by AirPower »

I've put this post to the side to keep the buggy body and motor separate.
This one is dedicated to the type 4 conversion that this forum convinced me to tackle.

:D Let me start by saying thank you to everyone who has helped either with parts, advice (lots of it), links and information to enable me to even start this project. It is very much appreciated.

What I've got at the moment is the vanagon 2000 liter motor.
Got carbs but no manifolds. (O... bugger!)
Flywheel is sorted out.
Missing some of the cooling tin.
No thermostat to open/close the flap on the oil cooler.
No distributer.

Since the heads on the vanagon is in a bad state, I,ve bought 2 x 1800 heads
The one has never been used (still in the parts box) the other is reconditioned. 39mm inlets

Many people ask what the motor is intended to do- ie race/street/standard
motoring. After reading up on some of the problems/solutions, I've decided the aim of this motor build is this: (only my opinion)

I do not want tremendous torque that will damage the gearbox. The plan is to get the motor to rev well and move the power to the higher RPMs in a smooth build-up

I want to keep cylinders standard 94mm, but replace the cylinders
and pistons with aftermarket performance kit.

The heads (hopefully the vanagon heads can be saved) will be polished ported,flowed and new (bigger) valves installed.

If I can get (afford!) a counterweighted stroker crankshaft that will go in.

I plan to change the ignition system to a magnetic pick-up to replace the points. (like one used in the 2000 vw polo) Distributer will probably be the 009 or 050.

Stage 1 clutch

The cooling on it is still a no-brainer (I mean I look inside my brain, but it's not there!)
:D :D

All comments are welcome as to how I can make improvements and more importantly where to GET the parts here in SA

Yours vrooly

The mobster's gettaway car builder

Eben said: "ACVW's are made of logic."
Bugger said: "I am happy with the drum brakes when done right as this will be used rarely"

"If it can't be fixed with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem" said by someone.
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

O ---Bugger I still have not been inside my moms Garage where the manifolds are I did give you a price for it a wile ago and Will get to make a plan to get them and confirm the chambers what I am very convinced they are

Those heads are they square port or oval ports

If you are going to take out the valve seats from a new set of VW heads :shock: Im sure that You can talk to Armant and he could make a deal with you for a BRAND NEW HEAD for a GOOD 2nd one to TURTURE and remove the valve seats for bigger ones

It will just be a pitty to see a new head go (Under stand my point here) for a waste
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Where the hell did you find a new Type 4 head :o

I passed up a set of good Squareport heads at a swopmeet (Stupid me), and after crying on the forum about it, another forum member offered me a set of heads that he has in storage :) As soon as I get them my engine build can also start...
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
AirPower
Clutch

Post by AirPower »

bugger - sorry man but the avatar name just asked for it - I know I stepped on your toes, I apologize.

The motor build will only end next year around Feb/March --- so I'll wait to hear from you again (about the manifolds.)

Blitz - the head was in a guy's shop here for a VERY long time (he kept it for the airplane guys for many years) until I recognized it in the shop front window. It's the oval exhaust port tipe (I didn't know it's anything special) I must add that I paid R900,00 for it. Don't know if that's too much.

The refurbished head I got from a scrapyard. It's a disappointment not to get the 41mm inlet valve type, but there was none to be found (checked about 14 heads). You guys will cry when you hear this - at this scrapyard there were about 4 split front window busses - totally rusted up and about 12 other busses (year after the split) all rusting away after what looks like a veld fire and all the rain. I also saw type 3 and 2 type 4 variants.

Wish I was a millionaire to buy them all.

:D
Bugger said: "I am happy with the drum brakes when done right as this will be used rarely"

"If it can't be fixed with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem" said by someone.
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

For a new head, R900-00 was a bargain :shock:
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
eben
Site Admin
What model do you have?: None
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ebenve
Slovakia

Post by eben »

IMPI(Armand) for a shroud and 1.9 Wasserboxer ignition will serve you well.
AirPower
Clutch

Post by AirPower »

eben wrote:IMPI(Armand) for a shroud and 1.9 Wasserboxer ignition will serve you well.
Sorry Eben - I don't quite follow - do you mean I should get these parts from IMPI? I'm sure the shroud is very good - I'd buy one today - my worry is if the standard beetle fan will be enough to cool the type 4 I'm hoping to build.

Mario

eben
Site Admin
What model do you have?: None
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ebenve
Slovakia

Post by eben »

Give Armand a call, I'm sure he can give you the spesifics on what he uses as I havn't seen on for real or used it :) His number is in his signature.
brianj
Single Port
What model do you have?: 67DC 66Fasty, 71West

Post by brianj »

Mario, where in gp was this yard? can you pm me?
AirPower
Clutch

Post by AirPower »

pm sent.

Can I ask you guys - do you get such a thing as a camshaft that is suitable for turbo use as well as non-turbo use. I see on the net people are talking about a 86a, but the cam suited for a turbo application is totally different. Is there a middle way?

Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

My turbo buggy was built with a Scat C65( Sorry c35 was reading a bit here today 14 03 2009 :D had to edit ) that was laying on Volkspares shelfs before I got the turbo grind cam
Not Ideal but it worked fine on 1.5 bar boost

PM me also with that yards no I bought a 15 window fleetline today and need some spares pls

e-mail bugger(at)telkomsa.net
Last edited by Bugger on Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

This is gonna be a good thread to watch... Glad we talked you into the T4 AirPower!!!
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
AirPower
Clutch

Post by AirPower »

PM sent Bugger.

Yeh Vader when this project started I've never even seen the inside of a type 4 motor. Some people around here still believe it's a piece of sh*t (local guys where I'm staying) so I've got a point to prove. One old toppie proudly informed me: " What do you want to do with that lazy piece of crap? I'll put chevy conrods and pistons in my beetle motor and beat you any day!"

But I'll get him - we'll have a type 4 vs type 1 dice one day and I'm going to drive the living daylights out of him!

Things are going slowly at the moment, but in the new year we'll pick up speed. Biggest headache for me at the moment is how to get the performance parts imported (and getting the money together). I also don't want to end up buying something that is not suitable and cannot be used.

In the end I still want to put the motor together myself. This is huge part of the build. Even though you can order turn-key motors, when it breaks you must be able to open it up and fix what ever is wrong. Only way to do that is if you put it together yourself and know the inside. Also how else can you make changes to the motor?

Cheers for now everyone

vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

T.I.A. (This Is Africa)....

Dude you in my opinion you have nothing to worry about, if you build it correctly, service it frequently and play with it nicely you will have many years of rubbing their noses in it!
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
AirPower
Clutch

Post by AirPower »

I'm not too worried about the prices Tony, the motor's got to be something special. That same scrapyard I PM'ed to everyone has a 2L Vanagon complete motor with solex double carbs, dead standard and overhauled for R7000.00. I considered buying it, but then that won't be anything special and as far as I've read so far the type 4 motor is build for low rpm torque and a cam change plus head work is a must for use in the light buggy.

I might be spending a lot of $$$ on parts from aircooledtechnology in the future - I'm trying to twist my local supplier's arm to import the parts for me.

Lastly - how about some feedback - did anyone find what they were looking for at the scrapyard? I'm dying to know if I was able to help someone even a little bit.

Bye-for-now
Mario