White is not always right

Non ACVW models.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

White is not always right

Post by Pine »

...especially when it is the new colour of a Ratel Infantry Fighting Vehicle. Took this 'spy pic' yesterday near Hartebeespoortdam. I think they are being painted white for UN use? But I'm sure die-hard ex-SADF members and National servicemen will agree with me - it just look WRONG!

(I was motorised Infantry in my days. We had to rely on our boots for transport. Getting a lift in a Ratel was considered a luxury.)

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratel_IFV :
The Ratel is the basic Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV) of the South African National Defence Force's mechanized infantry battalions, and is named after an African animal known in English as the Honey Badger, which has a reputation as a ferocious fighter.

The 6x6 Ratel was indigenously developed by Sandock-Austral (now owned by Land Systems OMC, part of BAE Systems) and produced in volume for the South African Army in subsequent decades. Design work began in 1968, with prototypes completed in 1974. Production of the basic Ratel-20 started in 1976, which entered operational service in 1977. Other variants, including the improved Mark II and Mark III versions of the basic Ratel, were phased in over the subsequent decade. Mark I vehicles were upgraded to Mark II and III standard during refits. Over a thousand Ratel vehicles have been manufactured.

The Ratel was the first wheeled IFV to enter military service, and is generally regarded as an influential design; a number of other countries have since produced vehicles similar to the Ratel, including the Sibmas from Belgium, which is all but a direct copy, as well as a number of South American designs. The Ratel-20 is the primary squad IFV, with the Ratel-60, Ratel-90, and Ratel-ZT3 (the anti-tank guided missile version) used primarily in anti-armour, support, and reconnaissance elements within a battalion. The vehicle usually carries a crew of four or five men, with a seven-man infantry squad.

The vehicle was designed with the South African environment and the combat experience of the South African Defence Force (SADF) foremost in mind. For example, it has considerably more firepower than most comparable infantry fighting vehicles--ranging from machine guns up to a 90-mm cannon. Modern versions can therefore be considered to have evolved into multi-role armoured vehicles from their original infantry fighting vehicle design.
I like this look more :hangloose:

Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Re: White is not always right

Post by Pine »

Just found this on the Net:
An armoured UN vehicle of the MONUC patrols the streets of Kinshasa. Heavy gunfire targeted the villa of Jean-Pierre Bemba, who came second in the Democratic Republic of Congo 's presidential election, as he met with foreign ambassadors overseeing the country's transition to democracy, diplomatic sources said. 21 August 2006
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

ceck out the bent tow bar on the side...I bent one till it looked like a Z...hehehe I loved driving my Ratel 0B2.... But we only had a Browning on top and an amazing aray of radios inside with a 20m telescopic antenna, 12 car batteries under the doors to power them. That towbar weighs 60kg and you need 2 of them to get that spare wheel on the roof... oh and 4 guys aswell...Any of the rear axils can be slung just incase you drive over a land mine...The engine covers weight 40kg each and there are 3 of them.. in-line 6cylinder 12l Turbo charged intercooler Diesel... 3 gearboxes auto, semi-auto and 3speed manual. 2x6, 4x6, 6x6. and then the diff-lock in 2x6, 4x6 and 6x6... a trip switch panel that looked like it came out of a F15 fighter. Ill try to find my picture somewhere.... Our Ratels were radio ratels
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

Bussing diesel engine.
I was a radio fitter on new ones and it took 2 hours and several resharpenings of the drill bit to drill through the hull. Remember the andersons strapped to the back.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

I was told that a Ratel has a PUTCO bus engine, with a turbo on? I love the whining sound of that engine at higher revs. I once made the mistake to try and sleep inside a Ratel at night during our Mech orientation course at De Brug, a military training area some 30km West from Bloemfontein. It was mid-August, and in the end it was colder inside the Ratel than outside, not to mention how uncomfortable it was. That thick armour steel cools it down like a freezer! We were also forbidden to sleep underneath a Ratel, apparently they have the habit to start rolling by themselves at night, and will go over you with no prior warning (I never heard the real explanation for that, but I think it has something to do with the handbrake that gets released by itself?)

The driver has a lever inside his cabin that deploys thick armour plates in front of his (already bullet-proof) windows in a split second, that's very cool. A Ratel also has a tap between the two rear wheels for drinking water. Was always very welcome after an oppie!

If I'm not mistaken, we were told that a Ratel can wade through 2 meter deep water, although it is not completely amphibious. I saw a demo at Lohatla where a Ratel was pulled from where it was stuck in a ditch by a Withings (recovery vehicle) with a kinetic rope. I jumped out of that ditch like it was a Dinky Toy!