Turbo Charging an aircooled motor

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Turbo Charging an aircooled motor

Post by Tony Z »

I personally think there are WAY too many variables in this idea. The basics are not too difficult to grasp, its the application where it gets confusing....

Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Have a look at IMPI's Type 4 Turbo conversion and see how simple it is...

Hardly any fancy imported engine parts...
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

Remember my 1600 T was built for kicking ass and not drivability
And with the suck through system you will not have the whooossssccchhhhh sound between gear changes that sound comes from a blow through system with a blow off valve on when the throttle gets closed and the motor suck vacuum the blow off valve opens to dump the air that gets pumped to the throttle body and helps keep the turbo spool speed up
And if you want that sound that the Audi Quattros used to make the chrierl sound between gear changes you build a blow through set up boost around 1.5 bar and not use a blow off valve then when the throttle bodie gets closed thr air that was boost gets hammerd against the throtle and fills up the boost pipe to the turbo and then that sound is the turbo blades(Compressor side) that is chomping in to the boosted air and gets slowed down in a very hurry and that is why the blow off valve was developed

not so long ago when there were not blow off valves we used to make a contraption that takes a 50mmx50mmx5mm plate on top of the boost pipe with threaded rods and springs between the pipe flange and the flat plate and tighten the nuts doen and put 2.0 bar pressure in to the boost pipe with compressed air to see if the plate lifts
This was like a safety device if you had something gonr wrong and the motor back fires so to save the turbo and not blow some of the intake manifolds to pieces as what have happend so many times to the guys using plenty of NOS :D

Just some of the many Boer maak `n plan tricks we had to do when there were no such lugshuries available as today
Even used home made Waste gates with 16V Golf valve lifter caps :x it worked but with very bis boost vluctioations
The Audi wast gates were the thing to use
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

eben
Site Admin
What model do you have?: None
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ebenve
Slovakia

Post by eben »

et up boost around 1.5 bar and not use a blow off valve then when the throttle bodie gets closed thr air that was boost gets hammerd against the throtle and fills up the boost pipe to the turbo and then that sound is the turbo blades(Compressor side) that is chomping in to the boosted air and gets slowed down in a very hurry and that is why the blow off valve was developed
Turbo stall.... sounds very "rally" but no good for either turbo/boostcircuit longevity or turbo spoolup time.
I had it for a while and thought it was cool in my S4 for a while, only to find out its no good and that the Diverter/dump valve needed replacement. :mrgreen:
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

Yes devnitely not good for thr turbo thrust behind the compressor wheel but makes one helluva awesome sound
The Turbo I am using in my beetle at the moment has a 360 deg Thrust Expensive but with the 60*1 compressor wheel I am using a 270 thrust would just not last and had to replace it twise already
!st time when I over heated my motor and then when the oil went low coz of a Crimped oil line fitting comming off :oops: on the highway
Not nice when the oil light comes on at 7000RPM and racing a Ford ST Turbo just jump on the clutch and switch off motor with Turbo spinning 120K od RPM
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site