How does it work with a car that CANNOT be registered?

Porsche and replica Porsche posts over here.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

How does it work with a car that CANNOT be registered?

Post by flatfourfan »

Like as in AT ALL!!!!!

Been put into contact with a seller of a 1960 356B (stripped and gutted) with a moundload of parts (30 odd boxes). Ideally I'm interested in the parts only, but it's a package deal.

The downer is that the car is a full import from Germany and cannot be registered locally due to it being brought in by a diplomat but if was only allowed in with the express arrangement that it could not be licensed and titled locally and must be taken out by the importer once he leaves otherwise it can only be used for track use.

I've been told that it was going to be sold and raced on the vintage racing circuit, but the new owner got in too deep and wants to recoup his money.

The price is damn good, but I have to remember that I can't licence it and I don't have any real need to circuit race with it.

Honestly, I'm in the mood to buy everything, take what I want and then sell the car as a outlaw roller to someone who wants to race with it. I have no need/ want for the body, engine, gearbox or suspension.

Advice?

Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Re: How does it work with a car that CANNOT be registered?

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Is it a LHD?
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Yup......
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Not a chance of getting it registered then.

I will PM you in a bit.
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
MINCE
Transmission
What model do you have?: Without Vehicle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pereira.artur?ref=profile

Post by MINCE »

wonder how much you would sell the engine, gearbox and suspension *feeler*
"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion." Jack Kerouac
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Ideally I'd prefer to keep the shell, engine transmission and suspension together. Just weighing things up right now to see if it's worth my while.

Big outlay to go and get it (3 days off work for the trip) and plus storage for everything.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

It will make a perfect donor car for a rusty old RHD car, as most parts will fit.
All body panels, and motor suspension, as well as gearbox will not care if its LHD or RHD.
Nice project car, with other car..... :roll: :wink:

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

^^^

Pretty much what's going to happen. I've passed up on this as the amount of legal work involved with this car. As it's on a watch list and cannot be registerd under the current chassis number in South Africa.

So I contacted a friend from the porsche club in SA that's hooked me up with a guy from Cape Town who's going to take it. So at the end of the day in one way or another, it's going to a good home, be it in parts or a track car.

My only request was to have the pick of the new parts that it comes with. All original parts will go with the car. As the new parts are almost all repop, he's happy with that.

I've told the new owner about this page and sent him the link. Hopefully he chooses to update it. Over and out.
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

More important than LHD is "import tax evasion" issues. SARS is getting tough lately. (Their staff is getting incentives to do so). SARS recently confiscated a relative's Botswana registered vehicle and crushed it. (Car had been too long in this country for their liking). He refused to pay the R20 000 fine so they crushed the car.

Much longer ago, there was a case where out of the blue ,SARS arrived at a guy's house with a tow truck. Confiscated his (think it was a Porsche 944), and crushed it. (They went though their paperwork and found that long ago, the owner before the previous owner did not pay the full import tax at the time...)
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Yup, I've bought many ex diplomatic vehicles in the past, but all have been proper imports with full duties with SARS attached documentation and I've had ZERO issues.

I've had something very similiar a few years back when a work collegue brought in a Honda NSX type R, it was RHD, but he was here for less than 2 years and was forced to take the car back with him. He was actually hoping to sell it locally.

This 356 has had all it's sars paperwork....
calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

Spoke to a dude a couple of years ago who restores muscle cars and imports a lot of spares & the like, he told me it is possible to import LHD rides, provided duties are paid, but can only be used for promotion of ligitimate buisines initialy, but after 6 months after registration he can sell them off. He had 2 Camaro's in his shop witing for the 6 month period to come & go so he could sell them off. I didin't beleive him until another duded who deals in local rebuilds and used spares, told me the same thing after he imported his Pontiac, it has his company stickers on and he drives it all the time, all above board .
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Yup, correct, the promotion of business can still be used on LHD. The issue with the 356 that it was imported with (off road/ race use only).

Unfortunatly, once it's been brought in with that paperwork, it can't be changed until it goes back to country of origin.............