Wreck Rescue - aka The Notch

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Re: Wrek Rescue - aka The Notch

Post by Blitzkrieg »

karmakoma wrote:Quick Update.
Sourced some Type 3 sheetmetal from Blitz :hangloose: Thank you. So work on the rust will be starting shortly!
Also ordered some of the oily bits required, so there are no delays once the repair and paint is done.
Will finally be collecting the seats and interior trim from Vuyo tomorrow. ( I have been away, and then busy at work to make up for the few days away - pretty sure you all know how that goes!)

Expect episode 2 soon!
Hi Karma,

I don't know anything about this? I don't have any sheetmetal for you? :? :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Just messing with you mate :mrgreen:

If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 69 dual trunk coupe

Post by karmakoma »

Episode 2.

Saturday morning early, 5/9/09.

Friend and I headed off to Vuyo's place to fetch some seats.

I am sure Vuyo was happy they were gone, as he now has some more space in his garage for other beetle bits :-)

Got them home and packed them with the rest of the Type 3 goodies.

Rear bench seat does not appear to have seen too much action, :twisted: , still in pretty good condition, however, the plan is to redo/recover the entire interior in a tan colour vinyl.

You can see the original horsehair poking out of the front seats, that WONT buff out :-).

Between the seats you can see all the door cards and the rear parcelshelf board. Except for one broken one we can probably re-use them all for the recovering process.

The frame of the front seats will need a bit of a clean and a spray, nothing elbow grease and a rattle can can't fix.

As I was pondering what to do with the seats, I remembered some special seats I got from a friend years ago, and was saving for that special occasion, well, this could very well be that special occasion. So I called up my DAD, remember those seats I have stored at your place? Exactly how deep in the storeroom are they :twisted: ?

I'll check tomorrow was the reply :-). Then this afternoon, got this great pic with measurements :hangloose:

Some background on these seats: Years before the Mclaren SLR was first unleashed on this world, a local company was contracted to produce some pre-production samples of the seats they designed for the car.

Now I have no idea if they got the contract, if they actually produce the seats, or if it was outsourced to China. What I do know, is that I have some seats with Mclaren Bucket prototype stickers on them, in carbon fibre, ready to be fitted to a Notch :D . But dont take my word for it, take a look at the pick below, compare, and you decide for yourself:

The leather colour is also what I have in mind for the notch.

This is where I need some forum help though.
I need to a) Fit the seats, and b) Make them flip forward so the rear seats can still be used. First Idea is to mount the seat on the existing seat rails and adjusters, and fabricate a special bracket that allows the entire seat to be flipped forward. Perhaps a permanent mount with a swivel at the front and some brackets at the back that unclip/unhook when required?
You will see the seats have pre drilled holes, and I would like to re-use these, don't really want to drill any more holes in them. So any advice would be gladly read!

As mentioned before, after short but successful negotiations I bought some fasty sheetmetal from Blitz.
After further discussions it was agreed that I should just take the whole shell :) . Ferdi was nice enough to offer to go and fetch it, since he will be the one doing the real hard work of cutting and welding ;-).

When he was finished with the loading, Ferdi developed a very neat new way of exporting a fastback. He calls it fasty in a box :-). So next time someone wants to export some ACVW metal, we can save them large amounts on shipping:

Just unload, add water, and start your restoration. :-)

***** Fin *****
Dutch_Diver
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 64 bus & 63 Bug
Facebook: www.facebook.com/people/Frank-Van-Hoof/576686903

Post by Dutch_Diver »

Absolutely great :lol: On the seats, I think the idea of having them flip forward on a hinge is the way to go. I was trying to think of a car that does that but the only one I can think of was the early MGB's I think (but could be wrong). Come to Barry's metal meet and I'm sure we coudl knock some out! :drunks:
"MO" - 1965 Splitscreen bus --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... =37&t=9305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"BOBBIE" - 1963 Beetle --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=11338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by karmakoma »

As long as we knock something out before the :drunks: , and then start the :party: , we should be fine!
Pity I am in JHB though, when is the next metalmeet btw? I might have a chance to go down to CT next month!
bugspray
Floorpan
What model do you have?: 71 Westy + 74beetle
Facebook: http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?r0d306f00&refid=7
South Africa

Post by bugspray »

Fiat seats flip all the way foward, was thinkn about them also.
More than meets the eye!
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

Hi i copied the Fiat uno for my GL beetle a few years ago
It worked very well
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by karmakoma »

Thanks for the advise guys. Will investigate following that route.
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

So i'm guessing that this Notch is going to be a kind of German Look car? Project is moving along nicely!
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by karmakoma »

Resto German Look. I have the beetle to keep as a stocker :-)
Bugz
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: beetle

Post by Bugz »

May I recommend the color "savannah beige"

I got pics of two notches like that and it looks the bussiness.

Want one in that color myself.
BUGGOFF
Pushrod
What model do you have?: Dc,Eagle,BugeyeBaja

Post by BUGGOFF »

This notch wont be beige, i went to have the color mixed today. It looks awesome.
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by karmakoma »

Episode 3.

Yes, can you believe it, so soon!

Funny that you should mention colour :)
Always thought that choosing a colour would be simple. I love vintage cars in black.

So my colour choices where as follows:

Black - but then I thought, mmm I have a black beetle, can't have two black acvw's, that would be boring.
Polar Silver - already taken - dammit Dutch (my 2nd favourite ACVW colour)
Aetna Blue - Very nice early porsche colour:

I have seen the Savannah Beige you mention, and it is very nice also.

So after spending hours and hours browsing the web and trawling through more than 250/413 Notch pages on The Samba to help me decide, I came across this picture:

Poppy Red it is then! An original VW colour - L54 (Was only an original colour for the later convertible beetles, but very few were apparently painted that colour)

more pics of what we are aiming for:

I usually prefer understated colours, but :shock: I love the look of a bright red notch.

The colour code was sent off to Ferdi, and as you can see, no time was wasted.
After he did some further research and got the complete formula off the web, this is the MMS I got,

:D man, did that put a smile on my face :hangloose:

But, we are getting ahead of ourselves, the rust has to be removed first, anyone for a spitbraai ?

So some time still till we paint, but if things continue at this pace, not as long as I thought :hangloose:

******* End ********
Last edited by karmakoma on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dutch_Diver
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 64 bus & 63 Bug
Facebook: www.facebook.com/people/Frank-Van-Hoof/576686903

Post by Dutch_Diver »

Karma, I'm really sorry :twisted: but the other colour I would have choosen was L243 Diamond Grey!

I do like the red too..... :flash:
"MO" - 1965 Splitscreen bus --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... =37&t=9305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"BOBBIE" - 1963 Beetle --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=11338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GavinHuart
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '62, '63 & '75
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=710891856

Post by GavinHuart »

Holy crap! Love that red! I'd bought a brand new Polo in 2005. I ordered it in Flash Red which is very similar to your Poppy Red. The VW sales lady, who happens to be a personal friend too, let me in on a secret... She said: "remember, red cars go faster" I always loved that little phrase and it is absolutely true! It's such a look-at-me color. Can't wait to see the progress.
'62 Bug, '57 Bug, '63 Panel Van & '75 Fleetline.. (O\ | /O) & |o\*/o|
YvaneS
Pushrod
What model do you have?: :)

Post by YvaneS »

WOW thats an awesome colour!!![
Sorry if this is stupid, but this "ferdi" you are talking about... is this the same guy @ whose house the swop meet was?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"