Subaru conversion

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
'72
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: '72 Beetle, '05 Polo

Re: Subaru conversion

Post by '72 »

dubster wrote:You dont maybe know exactly what motor it is they use?
sorry bud but no, even if they told me i wouldn't remember. Not too clued up with motor codes..

dubster
Valve
What model do you have?: buggy and '74 beetle

Post by dubster »

Its ok there is probably only a handfull of carb subby motors....google will be my friend....thanx....
1974 1300tp type 1

kart kraft 1717cc buggy

''BLOOD AND TEARS WILL FLOW FOR ACVW'S,FOR LIFE''
Hexadane
Drip
What model do you have?: 1970

Post by Hexadane »

Ive done the nissan 1500 conversion total cost not sure, But easilly reaching R30k, main reason Brakes, mags and tyres. The motor was R4000.00 clutch was R1200.00 piping ect 2 adaptor-plates 1st one broke in half the new one will not break machined out of billet 25mm stock ali 6082T6 series. done all the work myself took me a fair couple of weeks but a very enjoyable project to do. My reason for doing the swop: A) ACVW spare prices are ridiculous. B) not reliable C) once they start to leak oil they keep leaking oil, I enjoyed my 1600 AC very much had a nice setup but after 3 valve breaks and 2 head replacements then a siezed bearing I had enough. I would not recommend doing any conversion without at least thinking about stopping power. I love my little Basterd, have gotten many compliments on how it runs and sounds even from other ACVW owners.
'72
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: '72 Beetle, '05 Polo

Post by '72 »

Hexadane wrote:Ive done the nissan 1500 conversion total cost not sure, But easilly reaching R30k, main reason Brakes, mags and tyres. The motor was R4000.00 clutch was R1200.00 piping ect 2 adaptor-plates 1st one broke in half the new one will not break machined out of billet 25mm stock ali 6082T6 series. done all the work myself took me a fair couple of weeks but a very enjoyable project to do. My reason for doing the swop: A) ACVW spare prices are ridiculous. B) not reliable C) once they start to leak oil they keep leaking oil, I enjoyed my 1600 AC very much had a nice setup but after 3 valve breaks and 2 head replacements then a siezed bearing I had enough. I would not recommend doing any conversion without at least thinking about stopping power. I love my little Basterd, have gotten many compliments on how it runs and sounds even from other ACVW owners.
photo's?
Hexadane
Drip
What model do you have?: 1970

Post by Hexadane »

http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5807
There are some photos of it on the nissan 1500 champ conversion thread.
dubster
Valve

Post by dubster »

That last buggy is exactly what i want to do with my buggy oneday....a pipecar basicly with the subby mid mounted and a subie box...and than the buggy body should just be able to be put on or taken off very quickly...got anymore info on that buggy baron....
1974 1300tp type 1

kart kraft 1717cc buggy

BARON
Clutch

Post by BARON »

dubster
" got anymore info on that buggy baron.."..
Sorry no,I came across it while looking for Subie Porsches.
Ithink its from aussie land --maybe a buggy club there.
cheers baron
dubster
Valve

Post by dubster »

No problem the youtube vid has a link to the whole build....flippen interesting...its actually a 2332cc cb performance turbo motor with 270hp and capable of 300+ on better fuel...car is supper light weight 0-100 in 4.2 seconds there is vids inside the car its amazing!so technicaly of topic but for me this is the info i was looking for...but ja a subby can make the same power and more so should be the same recipe!
1974 1300tp type 1

kart kraft 1717cc buggy

Hloni
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: It was a '75.

Post by Hloni »

After reading this post http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... =4&t=19236 just got me thinking, which is a better option? A German or a Jap conversion?
"Volkswagen customers want a relationship with their cars. Names like The Thing, Beetle, Fox, and Rabbit support this" - Kerri Martin
dubster
Valve

Post by dubster »

If you get a score like that then its beter probably would make the same power as the suby n/a motor and easier to fit....but like i said thats if you can find one?
1974 1300tp type 1

kart kraft 1717cc buggy

syncromad
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: '68 Fasty,'75 Fleety

Post by syncromad »

Hi Blitz

Subaru conversions are not as easy as you think, we have done 2 into syncro's. Both 2.5 NA, go like stink but shred everything around them, gearboxes, engine mounts etc,
Those that the Buggy shop do are carb 1.8 suby motors. and the one they did did not last 500km. 2.0 turbo is fine in a suby, but as the others say, you needs brakes etc, did you see the size of the brakes on the imprezza, management is another hassle, very few people can get a suby to run right on aftermarket management.

come by and we can talk,

Stuart
Kevlarman
Drip
What model do you have?: 69 D/cab

Post by Kevlarman »

Well we going to try do it slightly different with a D/Cab 69 Kombi.
We got hold of all the mechanics and electrics from a Subaru STI that rolled.
Going to fit motor mid mounted sitting in its original direction due to the extra space under the half bakkie part all mounted in a new sub chassis using the front drive part of the gear box to drive the rear wheels using the original modified subaru rear suspension.
The new sub chassis will also run the whole length on the inside of the original chassis forming a complete box section for stiffness and strength .
Then going to use the front suspension spindles on a A arm set up using the Subaru brakes and abs system plus power steering.
syncromad
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: '68 Fasty,'75 Fleety

Post by syncromad »

Now that is the way to do it with a complete donor car, run suby Ecu and wiring etc, The way the pom's and american's do it.

Stuart
supervly
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy , Syncro
Netherlands

Post by supervly »

HI guys I have been playing with the idea to do a scooby convert for a while

i came accross this german site and they have some nifty solutions , eg lowered sump
, standard sump will bottom out http://www.bugat5speed.de/en/oil-pan/oe ... uguss.html

the 5 Speed conversion is awesome the blue project bug has a scooby engine very neat

http://www.bugat5speed.de/en/offer-vw/volkswagen.html

and now they are playing arround with 16V aircooled conversion
http://www.bugat5speed.de/en/project-ca ... uehlt.html

enjoy the site
http://www.bugat5speed.de/en/