"Buggering" around

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
slak
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Baja, Bay , Beetle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/editprofile.php

Re: "Buggering" around

Post by slak »

If u don't want to open up the motor completely and u took the heads and sleeves off
this is what i would do try to find a set of good twinport heads they'll give u more joy
than the single ports then get 1.25 or 1.4 ratio rockers the u dont need to open the casing
port the heads nicely don't bother with bigger valves take u'r sleeves to a reputable engineering
shop to measure the barrel to piston clearance if it is too much rebore and fit new pistons & rings
take along the con rods to make sure the small end are in order fit a new set of be bearings

but i would if u striped everything with the flywheel and front pulley in place check the end play
if that is too much rather not take a chance of putting it back together like that rather strip the whole
thing
then u can do the cam thing no problem

U Only Live Once Right !!!
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

SouL wrote: Remember I don't want to spend big money or open up the entire motor apart from the heads.

NB It’s a single port motor
Then give up right there. You cant change the cam without opening the engine. And you will be held back by your heads. Stock twin ports make more power than modified singleports.

you need twin ports before you go hunting for power
SouL
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: Jenna Jameson

Post by SouL »

slak wrote:find a set of good twinport heads they'll give u more joy than the single ports
Wouldnt I need to change all the plate work to suit too?

How much would I be looking at roughly to do all which you have mentioned?
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

dude, changing the tinware will cost less than a new cam, much less.
Last time I bought a 1.4 : 1 ratio rocker, it was over R3000, possibly getting close to 4K
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

if you walk into the CB shop a set of 1.4 rockers will cost R2000
now add shipping, imports and markup
slak
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Baja, Bay , Beetle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/editprofile.php

Post by slak »

wow didn't know the ratio rockers are getting that expensive but just the twinport
heads alone will give u a good upgrade in power and engine tin is about R420 from volkspares

i don't know the prices as engeneering shops differ in price and quality workmanship
shop around for prices places like
alert engine parts, QSV, parts incorperated if they don't have it they will probably
be able to get it for u don't ever be afraid to Shop Around all of us want the best for the best price
U Only Live Once Right !!!
SouL
Oil Pump

Post by SouL »

Been quiet for a little while none the less I'm back!

Been doing some phoning around trying to find guys who could work on my motor to redo the valves possibly new rings etc and stumbled across Vee Motors which just happens that one of the guys from my office mentioned them and some of the good engineering they can do on a motor. So I called them up and Spoke to a guy called Johan. Long story short he mentioned that they had twin port in their work shop waiting to go so after chatting for a while I decided to have a look at it myself and go round to the work shop.

When I got there I met with Johan who really seems a good guy...we negotiated and came to a price which I thought was really good that will included a bunch of nice additions as well as fitting a new alternator! All of this I would have eventually done by myself over time and who knows how long it would take and the money spent would probably have totalled the same amount as me getting this motor and at the end of the day I would have still been sitting with a single port motor.

I picked up my exhaust today from TNT and it looks really good

Needles to say I should get the buggy back next week and rather excited to see how it turns out. So far I'm happy and Johan and Vee motors have offered great service and help, will keep you all updated and if there is a happy ending to all of this when it's done
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SouL on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

Looking good, LOVE that stainless exhaust! :flash:
SouL
Oil Pump

Post by SouL »

Ye looks really good...they gave me a semi when I saw them.... can't wait to hear it :drunks: :drunkchair:

Next up is a spray job...and reupholstering the seats, new bikini top as well as a few little bits and pieces, as well as redo my dash as the previous :jerkoff: who had the bug drilled holes and put switches in that I still don't know what they are for!
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

SouL wrote:switches in that I still don't know what they are for!
DON'T PUSH ANY OF THEM :shock:

retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Pine, Now you have him all stirred up, ..... :shock: .But not shaken........ :roll:

:lol: :lol:
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
SouL
Oil Pump

Post by SouL »

oooohhh so sexy!!! :flash: :finger4u:
Should be getting her back tomorrow, can't wait to take her for a spin!

...more photo's to come!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SouL
Oil Pump

Post by SouL »

Been a while since my last update.....

Basically the latest news is, that my new motor is in and…………. Wooooaaah!!! what a difference. I thought there would be only a slight difference in power but how wrong I was. The buggy pulls in every gear and in 4th there is still power enough for me to keep me wishing there was a 5th gear somewhere hidden :D

Vee motors did a good job with the motor... and they were very helpful. Just felt that there was a bit too much of a rush as I picked up my bug on their closing day and....so rushed that when I got home and inspected the motor closer I picked up that they had missed out one of the four engine nuts that bolt the motor to the gear box!!! :x 2 days prior I went to pick up my buggy and every time I pulled off the buggy would shudder....which was never there before...long story short I have a new clutch installed (which I’m not too sure if needed to be done) and that seemed to solve the problem.

Have also decided to redo all the wiring on the buggy as whoever did the wiring on the bug needs to be hung up by his nuts!!! Bought a buggy wiring harness from Volkspares! For the last two days I have been cutting out the old wiring and installing the new. I must say it's not an easy job IMO. So far I have wired up the front and back of the buggy now need to wire everything up under the dash to all the switched, ignition etc. and that where is gets difficult!

So that's where I'm sitting now with my buggy restoration....Will post more pics of the motor installed on the bug soon.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Good news!!! Well done
SouL
Oil Pump

Post by SouL »

Managed to find these wiring diagrams which are rather easy to understand ( I think) :roll: