"Buggering" around

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
SouL
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: Jenna Jameson

"Buggering" around

Post by SouL »

I been looking into getting more performance out of my bug....

Been told that exchanging over to a electronic ignition will definitely help...been phoning around and apparently Volkspares in Jetpark sell the Golf electronic dizzy ignitions for about R1675.
Question:
Would this be money well Spent
Would there be a increase in performance?

Single 40 MPX 40 down draught carb...new from volkspare @ R4200
Question:
I imagine this would definitely help with performance, is there a alternative to this carb at a cheaper price? I get nervous picking up second hand Webbers etc as you never know if you picking up someone else’s problems

High volume oil pump @ Volkspares for R395
Question:
I was advised of this, but not too sure if it's a good option and if it’s something worth doing?

Oil Filter:
Question:
I take it that this is not necessary but definitely a “nice to have” and will aid the motor in lasting longer?

Disks brakes
Question:
If I remember correctly I'm looking at close on 9k+ due to the reason that you need to buy mag rims as my buggy rims would not fit over the callipers, so is this true and are there cheaper alternatives?

Sorry about all the question guys but I did warn you all that I need a lot of help :?
I hope that some of you geniuses out there can answer my question or at least some of them. As you know December is just around the corner and would like to work on my buggy during my leave period, but want to start planning on what I should look at doing and what isn’t necessary etc.

If there is any modification or upgrades you feel is worthwhile please let me know :hangloose:
Last edited by SouL on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Performance Upgrades

Post by Tony Z »

My answers in RED
SouL wrote:I been looking into getting more performance out of my bug....

Been told that exchanging over to a electronic ignition will definitely help...been phoning around and apparently Volkspares in Jetpark sell the Golf electronic dizzy ignitions for about R1675.
Question:
Would this be money well Spent Yes
Would there be a increase in performance?NO

Single 40 MPX 40 down draught carb...new from volkspare @ R4200
Question:
I imagine this would definitely help with performanceNot necessarily. If you have a stock exhaust you will get nothing extra from it, is there a alternative to this carb at a cheaper pricestock? I get nervous picking up second hand Webbers etc as you never know if you picking up someone else’s problemsget them serviced properly and you will be fine

High volume oil pump @ Volkspares for R395
Question:
I was advised of this, but not too sure if it's a good option and if it’s something worth doing?not on a small engine

Oil Filter:
Question:
I take it that this is not necessary but definitely a “nice to have”yes and will aid the motor in lasting longer?yes. But you should change your oil often anyway, running the oil filter you can prob go 10 000 km between changes if you use a decent oil

Disks brakes worth every cent
Question:
If I remember correctly I'm looking at close on 9k+ due to the reason that you need to buy mag rims as my buggy rims would not fit over the callipers, so is this true and are there cheaper alternatives?dont skimp on your brakes - do the brake upgrades before making the car go fast

Sorry about all the question guys but I did warn you all that I need a lot of help :?
I hope that some of you geniuses out there can answer my question or at least some of them. As you know December is just around the corner and would like to work on my buggy during my leave period, but want to start planning on what I should look at doing and what isn’t necessary etc.

If there is any modification or upgrades you feel is worthwhile please let me know :hangloose:
plenty, how big is your pocket - I have 170hp in my beetle, highly modded beetle engine, normally aspirated (no turbo). Built in my garage.
SouL
Oil Pump

Post by SouL »

Tony Z wrote:plenty, how big is your pocket - I have 170hp in my beetle, highly modded beetle engine, normally aspirated (no turbo). Built in my garage.
Thanks a lot Tony....I have spare cash available but not to the extent that I have no idea how to spend it all unfortunately :(
This is my project so I want to do as much on it myself as possible as otherwise it beats the whole point of a project...and least I know I’ll do it properly and save cash while at it

I'm not looking to make the buggy break any land speed records...all I really want to do is get the buggy running 100% smoothly and like the day it left the show room floor (or close to that anyway) . So happy to spend money on the engine and adding upgraded aftermarket parts to it to get it to perform better but don't want to go as far as performance piston and start changing cams etc...but something like re seating the valves etc seems a good start to getting the motor back to how it once was running without breaking the bank...so please feel free to list what you feel I should look into doing

So far all I have done to the motor is replaced the old card with a brand new solex carb

Next on my list is the Electronic ignition and maybe a oil filter...not to sure what else from there :roll:

My baby...a number of years back...since then done a bunch of stuff to it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

I would say for full reliability, look up Edmonds Mild performance 1600 build.

headwork, twin carbs, small cam and a decent exhaust will wake things up a lot for you
MINCE
Transmission
What model do you have?: Without Vehicle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pereira.artur?ref=profile

Post by MINCE »

you can also get a wide-5 disc brake kit, so you won't have to get different wheels
"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion." Jack Kerouac
Klaus
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 68'Bug 69'Bus 75'SC

Post by Klaus »

Phone Mr Radel. He'll put a little poke in the engine bay and wont cost you tooo much.

He's done my bug engine and its no slouch at all.

Get in contact with Calooker for a set of discs and the conversion kit for a lot less than most retailers
Camping is cheaper than therapy.

"Wanna sell it" "Yeah, but there's a national shortage on 'for sale' signs."

PROUDLY KAAPSE KOMBI KULT FOLLOWER
SouL
Oil Pump

Post by SouL »

MINCE wrote:you can also get a wide-5 disc brake kit, so you won't have to get different wheels
Any idea of where I could check them out and find out about pricing?
Klaus wrote: Phone Mr Radel. He'll put a little poke in the engine bay and wont cost you tooo much.

He's done my bug engine and its no slouch at all.
What did he do to your bug and what it cost you?
Klaus wrote: Get in contact with Calooker for a set of discs and the conversion kit for a lot less than most retailers
Who sells them and what would the normaly go for?
MINCE
Transmission

Performance Upgrades

Post by MINCE »

Speak to calooker about parts. Or ask Volkspares. But calooker is your guy
"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion." Jack Kerouac
SouL
Oil Pump

Post by SouL »

MINCE wrote:Speak to calooker about parts. Or ask Volkspares. But calooker is your guy
:hangloose:
riaanj
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: None ATM, oneday...

Post by riaanj »

SouL wrote:
MINCE wrote:you can also get a wide-5 disc brake kit, so you won't have to get different wheels
Any idea of where I could check them out and find out about pricing?
Volkspares sell them, you'll probably have to phone them for a price and to order a kit. :hangloose:
22_2880.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just keep on BUGGIN'
Protect the endangered, say NO to exporting our AirCooled spares & cars..

T6 Ranger 2.2TDCi D/Cab
307E Anglia panel-van
Honda CBR600RR
Honda CBR600F4
Honda CBR1100XX SuperBlackbird
SouL
Oil Pump

Post by SouL »

Thx Riaan...just a little weird and the one lady told me there that with the disk upgrades I would need to look at buying new rims to fit....now it looks like I wouldn’t have to :?
Hmmm now the decision if I should stick to my original rims or go for a pair of wider rims which may look nicer :huh:

If I decide for not to go with the original 5 bolt arrangement is it a big expense down the line if I decide I want to whack on some new shiny rims..I imagine all I will need to do is buy a new adaptor plate?
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

If you are looking at more poke for your motor this is my suggestions...
1) Disk convertion
2) Head work. Have your heads ported, go with bigger valves. Get those ashmatic heads breathing better and that will improve your proformance alot.
3) Swop your trumpets for a GOOD 4into1 exhast. Big gains there when matched with the head work and carb work.
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

SouL wrote:Thx Riaan...just a little weird and the one lady told me there that with the disk upgrades I would need to look at buying new rims to fit....now it looks like I wouldn’t have to :?
Hmmm now the decision if I should stick to my original rims or go for a pair of wider rims which may look nicer :huh:

If I decide for not to go with the original 5 bolt arrangement is it a big expense down the line if I decide I want to whack on some new shiny rims..I imagine all I will need to do is buy a new adaptor plate?
Dude. My advice (and also my opinion - use it, don't use it), stick with standard wheels, or wheels that are made for the wide-5 pattern. If you ever want to go back to a stock look, you won't have to repurchase disc brakes. There are loads, albiet, pricey, wheels for the wide-5 lug pattern which look MILES better than these aftermarket 'boy-racer' wheels.
If you want to go alloys, then do what Tony-Z has done and get some Porsche rims or replicas.

There are loads of ways standard beetle rims can be painted, or treated with accesories to make them suit any taste. You can widen them too.
Anything else does not look nice.

Go for the wide-5 disc brake kit and spare yourself going the after-market wheel look.
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

I must apologise, I momentarily forgot that we are talking about a buggie here. My apologies, but still, I would stick with wide-5's :)
SouL
Oil Pump

Post by SouL »

vader wrote:If you are looking at more poke for your motor this is my suggestions...
2) Head work. Have your heads ported, go with bigger valves. Get those ashmatic heads breathing better and that will improve your proformance alot.
Definately some thing I will look at doing....
vader wrote: 3) Swop your trumpets for a GOOD 4into1 exhast. Big gains there when matched with the head work and carb work.
Ok will look into it as a thought those trumpets were already good for performance? :roll:
MINCE wrote:There are loads of ways standard beetle rims can be painted, or treated with accesories to make them suit any taste. You can widen them too.
I appreciate the honest advice.....I think you are right, to stick with the standard rims....only reason I would go for aftermarket rims would to have them wider than the stock.... would you know of any one around the JHB area that would be able to widen my stock rims?