Surfin' RSA

Fables and Facts from ACVW History
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Surfin' RSA

Post by Pine »

John Whitmore -- sometimes referred to as the father or "uncle" of South African surfing -- was “an energetic man with an adventurous spirit and an enquiring mind,” eulogized surfer, writer and his friend Paul Botha, following Whitmore’s passing on Christmas Eve 2001.

Affectionately known to South Africans as “The Oom” – the Afrikaans equivalent of “uncle” -- Whitmore spent the better part of his life pioneering surfing, Hobie Cat sailing, and bodyboarding on the Southern tip of Africa from the 1950s to the beginning of the 1990s.
sa-whitmore_logo.gif
Whitmore Surfboards

Back in Cape Town, Whitmore Surfboards continued to grow, offering the latest technological advances picked up in California. John was also finding other industrial uses for Clark Foam which he was now manufacturing himself. He found the qualities of polyethylene foam were ideal for heat and sound proofing and packaging. All this activity and the emergence of numerous other surfboard manufacturers around the country led John to quit producing surfboards in 1968, restricting himself to just supplying the blanks.

While he stood down as manager of the 1968 Springbok team that went to Puerto Rico, in favor of Durban stalwart Cliff Honeysett, John managed the 1970 team that included future international stars Shaun and Michael Tomson, Jonathan Paarman and Gavin Rudolph. A fond memory of his was sitting with Hawaiian George Downing on the cliffs at Australia’s Bells Beach doing wave counts and timing the sets, enabling the South Africans and Hawaiians to get out in giant 5 metre plus waves that they rode from outside the point right through to Winkipop.

Managing the 1972 team that went to the world champs in San Diego was Whitmore’s swan song. He resigned as President of the South African Surfing Association in 1973 to devote himself to a newfound love: Hobie Cat racing.
More info here: http://files.legendarysurfers.com/surf/ ... 7_oom.html

These pics are from 'The Surfers Journal'

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Alves
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 58Ghia 68bug68buggy
South Africa

Re: Surfin' RSA

Post by John Alves »

I think I have one of his boards in my garage, the logo looks very familiar, I will go check
No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

1958 1600 TP Karmann Ghia
1968 1600 TP Beamish buggy
1968 1500 SP Beetle
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Re: Surfin' RSA

Post by fig »

Thanks for posting Pine. I posted some of those pics earlier this year, but had no info apart from that they were taken in SA.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford