Need to change

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
krazed_69
Drip
What model do you have?: 1975

Need to change

Post by krazed_69 »

Hey guys! I recently bought a '74 1600 Beetle, which was perfectly running, but a great project to work on to become a good looker...

However, one night on my way home from work, there was a massive noise, and smoke everywhere... Pulled over expecting flames at the back (as it wouldn't be the first time a Beetle caught fire in history), but there was nothing. Just oil all over the inside of the engine bay...

Anyway, turned out the oil pump was all messed up and bearings are gone...

NOW...

I know a lot of you are gonna want to klap me HARD, but after a LONG time of thinking I have come to the conclusion that I'll swap motors. Been looking at various options, and no one can really blame me for taking the current petrol price in mind... Beetles ain't quite economical (neither is my VR6 - but that's beside the point).

I want to move to an unleaded engine, but an unleaded Beetle engine costs an arm and a leg, and I've not yet heard of someone that has one, and how it runs or if it's economical.

My current thoughts is this.

Watercooled (unfortunately) 1600 Golf engine.

There is a guy here in Bloem that can do the conversion, but I'd like to find someone that will supply the motor AND install it, so as to not loose the guaranty on the motor.

Reason why I want to do this conversion is simple: Unleaded, MUCH ligter on fuel, and Golf parts are very easy to come by and relatively cheap. Also, the guy that does the Beetles with Golf engines here, recently did an 1800 conversion, ran it up to JHB the day after completion and back without heat troubles, no gear issues, no clutch issues etc.

I know it's sad to do that to an AC Beetle, but for me it's the best option to go for at this stage.

Any suggestions?

Retrobug
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1962 Beetle

Re: Need to change

Post by Retrobug »

The two secrets to success: 1) Don't tell everyone everything that you know

http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=24181
krazed_69
Drip

Post by krazed_69 »

Retrobug wrote: Dont frankenstien your Bug! :cry:
Trust me, I totally get what you're saying... Not a big fan of the back hanging slightly open and all that... Read the topic about the fuel... I've talked to a few Beetle enthusiasts here in Bloem a while back about the issue, and they said YES, the Beetle WILL run on unleaded, BUT (and this is a pain for me, as I don't know if it's true or not) they all said that if the car stands for a couple of days, running unleaded, they ALWAYS had issues with the car misfiring, struggling to start etc... Don't hold me on it, that's what they all said :? My other thing why thinking of going Golf, is open road riding... It's my 3rd Beetle now (all of them 1600's) - missing my first one a mint little '72 1600L most... I always feel like the motor is suffering a great deal when doing 100-120 on the open road :(
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

I have the same problems after a few days only when I use LRP
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
MarshallGTi
Camshaft
What model do you have?: GTi 16v

Post by MarshallGTi »

u not supposed to cruise at 120, keep it aircooled and in the slow lane...
just out of curiosity, how will the standard gear ratios work with a citi motor?
Ryan Marshall

An ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place

My Bug http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 37&t=25752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Golfmad
Valve
What model do you have?: niks

Post by Golfmad »

Its not because of the LRP petrol that the beetle engines are heavy on fuel, its because its OLD technology and the engines back in the day were not very effecient.

A 1600 water cooler golf engine will happily rev like a mofo all day long, and still give rather good fuel economy, but try your best to get an AC engine replacement if at all possible.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

What size wheels you got on that there bug.
If you run 13 or 14, you will get a low fuel economy, and slow speed on the hi-way.
Go back to 165/80/15 and you will keep up with most traffic,
You must decide if you want looks, and slow speed, or hi speed and better fuel economy.
But remember, the Aircooled was never a racer, or a economy run winner.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
krazed_69
Drip

Post by krazed_69 »

retrovan wrote:What size wheels you got on that there bug.
If you run 13 or 14, you will get a low fuel economy, and slow speed on the hi-way.
Go back to 165/80/15 and you will keep up with most traffic,
You must decide if you want looks, and slow speed, or hi speed and better fuel economy.
But remember, the Aircooled was never a racer, or a economy run winner.
Herman
Obviously I was expecting feedback like this...

At the moment things stand that I want to have a 1600 Golf engine dropped in, because of (as was mentioned earlier - Beetle engines = old tech + heavy on fuel). Regardless of wheel size, the fuel economy will be better with a 1600 Golf engine than with a Beetle engine (if taken into consideration the wheels that are on the car now will probably be on for a while after the conversion has been done). At the moment there is 14" wheels on, not my choice, bought the car like that.

The current motor is in need of attention. Period. Now it's either going to be a complete overhaul on the current engine, leaving me with a 1600 Beetle engine (which I have no problems with), but I spend a lot of time on the road, and if I can do it with my Beetle, then it's even better.

Overhaul vs. Golf motor, most to all of you will obviously say stick to the original motor, but I came here looking for advice on the conversion to a Golf motor and if anyone knows anyone reputable that has done this conversion in the past with success...
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

I hear you.....

When you asked, if you should.......

We all will say ....keep it air cooled, as it will hold its price and maybe increase in value, in future. and offer advice to make it work better for you...........

BUT, if you say, that you have made up your mind, and ARE going to change it to a Golf, motor, there are a bunch of guys hear that have done it over the years, and will help you.

Most will then also tell you the problems, they had, and assist you in not making the same mistakes.

Maybe you should Edit the 1st posting on this thread, and make your question more clear, and everyone will help.

:wink:

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

HI I got a Dutsun either 1200 or 14oo motor with 2 x SU Carburettors and adapter plate with Radiator comming out of a Beach buggy I am building a strong beetle engine for
and the motor , adapter plate and radiator I want R5500 for and the motor was Pulling Quite strong and this will also be very light on fuel
Just a thought and it is cheap
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

MarshallGTi
Camshaft

Post by MarshallGTi »

see now that sounds like a plan ^^^
Ryan Marshall

An ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place

My Bug http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 37&t=25752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krazed_69
Drip

Post by krazed_69 »

retrovan wrote:I hear you.....

When you asked, if you should.......

We all will say ....keep it air cooled, as it will hold its price and maybe increase in value, in future. and offer advice to make it work better for you...........

BUT, if you say, that you have made up your mind, and ARE going to change it to a Golf, motor, there are a bunch of guys hear that have done it over the years, and will help you.

Most will then also tell you the problems, they had, and assist you in not making the same mistakes.

Maybe you should Edit the 1st posting on this thread, and make your question more clear, and everyone will help.

:wink:

Herman
I get what you're saying, apologies for the confusion...

I've been thinking about swapping, because of the fuel issue, not knowing whether the motor has the right stuff to handle unleaded, but as for me driving a lot, a motor swap would be the best option for me, considering today's fuel prices (let alone the increase of tonight). I understand the amount of work that goes into it, and due to the lack of expertise, I want to have it done by someone who has done it in the past - which will not compromise the warranty of the engine - thus being a reputable person that has done it before... As an everyday car, reliability is an issue, and although I know Beetle motors are near indestructible, other VW engines are equally as dependable (had an MKII GTS which my parents bought new in 85)...
Bugger wrote:HI I got a Dutsun either 1200 or 14oo motor with 2 x SU Carburettors and adapter plate with Radiator comming out of a Beach buggy I am building a strong beetle engine for
and the motor , adapter plate and radiator I want R5500 for and the motor was Pulling Quite strong and this will also be very light on fuel
Just a thought and it is cheap
I'm a bit skeptical to go for the Nissan motors, as a LOT of people have been moaning about stuff like temperature and so on? Even though I realize it could have been because they did not do the cooling the right way, not enough airflow the the radiator etc...

I can't do the conversion myself, I have to be honest, as much as I know, there's certain things I can't do myself :P

I will take that as an option if someone can put it together for me with no issues and that I can tow it up to wherever it is done and drive it back to Bloem without issues :P
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

2c...
You keep mentioning fuel ecconomy...
1st... What were you getting with the 1600 a/c should be around 10km/l, & have you checked what a 1800 w/c gives you? I would think the 1800 would be about the same if not heavier. The 1600 w/c get about 600km on a tank of 45l +- 13.3333 km/l so the 1800 should be around that if not a bit less.
2nd if you are really serious about fuel ecconomy then you should not be looking at petrol but rather diesel. Like a 1.9tdi or even the 1.4tdi.. 750-1000km on 65l thats between 11.5 and 16. + they will klap and 1800 petrol time and again....

So if you are SERIOUS about fuel economy go diesel anything else your just f*#@king around with pipe dreams and waisting your time and money.

But hay its your car......

Remember...

Do, or Do Not!!! There is no Try....
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
MarshallGTi
Camshaft

Post by MarshallGTi »

vader wrote:Remember...

Do, or Do Not!!! There is no Try....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
epic...
Ryan Marshall

RICKY-R69
Clutch
What model do you have?: 76 kombi,1970 beetle

Post by RICKY-R69 »

I have done a 1400 nissan coversion on my son's car and a 1800 golf conversion on my own car. And guess what? He won't leave my car alone. Plenty of horses and less fuel consumption. I would say yes go for it. Not that hard to do yourself either.
Most men in their mid-life crisis buys Harleys. I build BEETLES!