Saveiro Cross - why did we not get it ??

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Saveiro Cross - why did we not get it ??

Post by retrovan »

Seeing the HW Saveiro Cross as posted by Henry, made me think of the Stupidity of Volks Wagen SA for not bringing in the Tooling for the Right Hand Drive versions for sale to the rest of the World.

Had they done that, we would have been able to employ more work force, improved the SA economy, and had a best seller bakkie made here in SA.

Here are sum extracts from the Car write up of some time ago.

This is what it looks like.....

The Saveiro looks good enough to give the Corsa Utility some sleepless nights, but it looks unlikely to head our way.

Designed and assembled in South America, the Gol-based Saveiro has been nipped and tucked to comply with the company’s latest design language, and actually looks very convincing in its light commercial guise.

The Saveiro will be powered by one engine, the 1,6-litre VHT (Volkswagen High Torque) petrol unit that produces 75 kW at 5 250 r/min and 154 N.m of torque – most likely mated with the same five-speed manual gearbox employed in the Gol.

Three trim levels are available. Manufactured for left-hand drive markets only, the Volkswagen Saveiro will not be available in South Africa.

By Kyle Kock

Maybe VWSA can tell us why we did not get it

Herman

1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Kaptein
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: Baywindows & Beetles

Re: Saveiro Cross - why did we not get it ??

Post by Kaptein »

What i heard is that they are only built in LHD and that's why VWSA wont bring them in/build them here
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Kaptein wrote:What i heard is that they are only built in LHD and that's why VWSA wont bring them in/build them here
Totally get that, but as we have the ability to build them RHD, we will not have to bring them in, but make them here.

If GM can build the Corsa, then VWSA should have no problem building the Saveiro Cross

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Watercool
Transmission
What model do you have?: VW Rabbit 2.5

Post by Watercool »

I know what you say, but this is just the back ass way of thinking of VW world wide. Here in the USA VW is always late to the party so to speak, at first in the SUV market. They did not want to step into the market until just about every other manufacturer had an SUV of sorts on the market then brought the Touareg, but as it did not sell as predicted (in the beginning) VW was upset. Then they only step into the minivan scene when the market was already cooling down, with the Chrysler build Routan (slightly altered Town and Country van) even when they had a great looking van, Sharan, in Europe. The Transporter is in a different class.

Then VW introduced the Amarok pick up, and the USA went wild, but we will not see it. The big 3 (Chev, Ford and Dodge) has way too much say and power in the pick up market and with the help of Mcdonalds we really do not fit into the mid size pick ups. But we want it, and there is a swing toward smaller pick ups with diesel engins, but VW say no.

When Mercedes introduced the Sprinter vans, which was a shared development with Renault and VW (Crafter) and brought here as the Dodge, International and MB sprinter Vans, with all kinds of wheel bases and configurations, but VW did not want to play. Now here it could be by contract I don't know. But if not they could have had a great share of the market.

Now Ford has introduced a small delivery van (Transit Connect) based on the Ford Focus and it is selling like hot cakes as there is NO competition on the market for it, VW has the same thing in the Caddy van, but they will wait till every other manufacturer has something similar on the market before they will step in and then complain their asses off if it does not sell.

Take the VW Polo, this has been held infront of our noses like a carrot for some time, then it is coming and then not. VW can not see a sustainable market for it here, but in the meantime Hyundai, Kia, Toyota and even Mazda, not to mention the coming Chinese cars, flooding the small car market. Again VW is going to wait till last and then say the Americans does not "get" the small car market.

Also nearly all the manufacturers is looking at low market cars, eg cheap entry level cars. As the current ranges of vehicles all have grown in size and luxuries and left a huge gap at the bottom for entry level cars. Here VW can bring into the US the Skoda or Seat. They have a problem keeping Skoda alive, well bring it to the US at a good price and you will see it sell, just like Hyundai and Kia did in the beginning and Toyota is doing with the Scion line.

Then we come to the specialty market, cars like the Scirocco, UP, Pheaton, etc. I agree there is not a huge market for them here, but bring us a few, say 2 - 3000 as a specialty import so they stay exclusive and keep value. And not kill the GTi market (in the Scirocco's case) But give us some fun vehicles the rest of the world gets to enjoy. But again VW knows best and we as the consumers have to suck it up. And this is but a few points with my problem with VW, hopefully one day they will see the light and see they have the most loyal and devoted enthusiast base of any manufacturer.

We still love you, but come on VW step up.
Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

well at least you guys in the US get 2 door Golf GTIs... I cannot understand why VwSA doesn't give us those... :(
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Totally agree with you there Henry.

VW has this arrogant German attitude of " We will tell you what you like"
And " We know what you want"

That is why we get, into an massive rugged country, a Amarok with Micky Mouse motor, even when they have bigger motors at hand, up to a 5 Lt W12.

Would it not be easy to offer two motors, one a descent 3 Lt, and the other a piss willy one. I am sure that if we managed to earn enough money to pay for the dam thing, we should be able to work out what engine we would like in it.... :shock:

Can they not see that GM has shot them self in the foot, with the new ( :bn: ) Corsa, that nobody wants, and bring the Saveiro Cross here, to take over the market. ??

Think we need "Less Cleaver" guys at VW to make more human decisions...... :huh:

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Kaptein
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: Baywindows & Beetles

Post by Kaptein »

I have wondered before were and with whom do they do their market research. Definitely not with vw enthusiast, thats for sure !

The only real pickups vw sold here were the caddy's and don't tell me they did not sel like hot cakes.They should honestly consider a vw half tonner.

Even 2 door bodied cars , look how sought after the old 2 door golfs are today.

Anyway just my thoughts...
Watercool
Transmission
What model do you have?: VW Rabbit 2.5

Post by Watercool »

I like i have stated I am a huge VW fan, but try and restore an old Mercedes against a VW. You can go to Mercedes and order parts for nearly any age MB, if they don't have the part locally they can get it from Germany, also they don't take your first born, house and retirement as payment. Go to a VW for old parts, especially aircooled, and they can not go back further than about 7 years and then you have one hell of a time to find what you need. VW act like it was never an aircooled company, mention that you look for an aircooled part and they treat you like you are the devil himself.
VW is one of the company's with the biggest enthusiast followings in the world, but the parent company treat these people like shit.
Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference
Retrobug
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1962 Beetle

Post by Retrobug »

Still don't understend why not one of the automotive giants have thought of building a "light" double cab in this market sector! :?
Law says you cant put people on the back so then give us a place to put them! :twisted:
Can you imagine the Saveiro Cross in a Double cab! :flash: :hangloose: :flash:
The two secrets to success: 1) Don't tell everyone everything that you know

http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=24181
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Retrobug wrote:Still don't understend why not one of the automotive giants have thought of building a "light" double cab in this market sector! :?
Law says you cant put people on the back so then give us a place to put them! :twisted:
Can you imagine the Saveiro Cross in a Double cab! :flash: :hangloose: :flash:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why do I laugh you may ask.
Well i have had 3 Corsa bakkies to date, and when the 2nd generation came out, I went to GM and asked for a spare test body.
As I do a lot of work for the Motor assemblers, they said to come get one.
When I got there, they asked what I wanted to do with it, and I told them, I was going to make a prototype Double cab.
I then offered to give it back to them to do market research, and they could start a whole new market sector.

So now you ask .."whats funny about that.."

Well as soon as they heard what I wanted to do with the body, It was "not available" anymore, and that I should not wast their time.

It has then become clear that they where scared that the Isuzu Double Cab range would suffer, and as that it a bigger profit margin then the entry level Corsa, they would do anything to stop it.

So yes, been there, done that , could not buy the "T" shirt, and was told to move swiftly along.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Retrobug
Donor
Donor

Post by Retrobug »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Think they would sell like hot cakes though! :x
Only a matter of time before the short guys with the long wall figure there is a huge market gap though! :wink:

Retrobug
Donor
Donor

Post by Retrobug »

GM looked at the little picture and saw the Isuzu D/C range suffering. :?
While not looking at the big picture they missed the Isuzu D/C range suffering a little while they could have knocked all the manufacturers D/C sales
and gained a new market! :?
Only a metter of time before our brilliant Metro police realize that transporting people on the back o bakkie is in fact illegal and corruption can once again flourish! :lol: